Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Oh dear oh dear... uplay, you were always a disappointment.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2014 21:48 Edited at: 13th Dec 2014 21:54
This is a bit more of an angry rant than anything else, but nevertheless, I feel everybody needs a reminder on just how bad uplay can be.

So, after discovering that my masterfully mid-range rig could actually run it properly. I recently decided to buy Assassin's Creed Unity for £16 off G2A. Needless to say, despite my earlier post defacing Ubisoft, I was pretty hyped. I knew I had a monolithic download ahead of me. "50 GB? Sheesh." But I continued my download regardless. So it took the best part of an evening, more accurately staying up until 2:30 AM and the thing hadn't even finished downloading. I think it was about 95% by the time I called it a day.

Next morning I boot up uplay to continue the download, only to have the download continue from the VERY BEGINNING. I was a little annoyed but I decided to just let the download resume for the rest of the day. This time, the game had actually finished its download. I pressed the virtual button to finally launch the game only to have an error obstruct me. I tried a few more times before thinking, "It's probably a corrupt file, I guess I'll verify the game cache..."

Now this is when I get REALLY MAD, you see if you've ever verified a local game cache in Steam, you'll know that it handles the situation very well by just re-downloading the files that are corrupted. Wanna know what uplay did?

Restarted the download, all. Over. AGAIN.

So yeah, I did expect bugs with Unity, but this is really testing my patience. We don't all have a super-fast fiber optic broadband you know...

But this time, it is claiming that the download is a patch. So maybe it's just a patch that replaces all the files that were broken in Assassin's Creed Unity... oh wait, isn't that all of them?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Dec 2014 18:55
I have not heard one good thing about AC: Unity, or Uplay. Ubisoft is sucking pretty bad these days, it seems!

Did you finally get it work though?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 11:30
Quote: "I knew I had a monolithic download ahead of me. "50 GB? Sheesh." But I continued my download regardless. So it took the best part of an evening"

AHAHAHAHAHA ROFLROFL LMAO HHHHAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! WOW dude you have no idea!! 50GB in ONE NIGHT??!?! I read "the best part of an evening" and burst out laughing so much I fell off my chair!! LOL!

Ok ok... but seriously, that would take normal people several days to download. You're lucky if you can download it in less than one night

Quote: "Now this is when I get REALLY MAD, you see if you've ever verified a local game cache in Steam, you'll know that it handles the situation very well by just re-downloading the files that are corrupted. Wanna know what uplay did?

Restarted the download, all. Over. AGAIN."

I totally understand. UPlay sucks so badly. It's horrible. It's not even worth having. I mean, it's not great that EA decided they needed to have Origin instead of relying on Steam, but at least they did a pretty darn good job of it. UPlay is just plain useless.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ok ok... but seriously, that would take normal people several days to download. You're lucky if you can download it in less than one night "

Could probably do it in 2 hours.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 11:14
"Normal people" is relative to where you live though ^^ 50GB is probably an hour here, or less.
well I guess between 1-2 hours for "most people" here.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 22:45
Quote: ""Normal people" is relative to where you live though ^^ 50GB is probably an hour here, or less."

I know, I know, but when I say "normal people" I mean the population with limited internet access

And also:

Quote: "Could probably do it in 2 hours."

Quote: "50GB is probably an hour here, or less."

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2014 08:15
100mbit internet (or whatever the term is) is somewhat the norm here in sweden ^^
Almost nobody got less than 50 :3
Now I havent tried downloading 50gb latly, but I wouldnt bet on more than an hour

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 16:02 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2014 18:15
Quote: "I have not heard one good thing about AC: Unity, or Uplay. Ubisoft is sucking pretty bad these days, it seems!

Did you finally get it work though?"

It worked like a charm on my third attempt and I must say, after using the past week to complete it, once you overlook the technical flaws (woo, 30-15 fps no matter what I do to the settings, ultra everything it is then...). I find it to be easily the best Assassin's Creed game to come out since Revelations. Paris (man did I miss cities...) Is a joy to explore with the new free running system, the combat is more precise than previous installments (except AC 1) and the side activities actually have some thought put into them. Well, most of them anyway. I won't lie that they're aren't faults beyond the obvious lack of polish (the word, "rushed" comes to mind): childish amount of npcs in certain spots with crazy LOD transitions, crowd events consist of either killing Templars or tackling thieves (does no-one look after their possessions?) and the presence of micro-transactions. While one can get along just fine without them, their existence is still something to criticise. It's like a faint whiff of manure that masks the otherwise decent character customisation.

Quote: " "But FLAME123, what about the chests that require you to sign up to a bazillion Ubisoft services?" "

I would make a bigger deal out of them but the services themselves are actually pretty good. Okay, the companion app isn't so hot but Assassin's Creed Initiates is a nice database for all of your Assassin's Creed playtime metadata. One thing I really like about Initiates is that it judges your playstyle by what you do in the game. For instance, since I favour stealth and parkour, I have been ranked as an Infiltrator. But that is not to say that it was okay for Ubisoft to force these services upon players to open certain chests (although there aren't that many in comparison to normal chests) but I just think everything has been blown a bit out of proportion.

Guys, if this weren't rushed it would've probably been among my favourite Assassin's Creed games and a real contender for a personal game of the year. But alas, it was not given the privilege of a delayed release to give it some much needed polish, you can tell the developers were really trying but just ran out of time.

Man, I really hate annual releases.
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2014 19:36
Quote: "I totally understand. UPlay sucks so badly. It's horrible. It's not even worth having. I mean, it's not great that EA decided they needed to have Origin instead of relying on Steam, but at least they did a pretty darn good job of it. UPlay is just plain useless."

+1000
I've just stopped buying games with Uplay. I know I miss some good titles but I can't stand it anymore.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2014 01:26
How is Steam any better? All these types of systems are completely useless.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Steam is beautiful. I would not be a PC gamer without it.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2014 03:16
Quote: "once you overlook the technical flaws (woo, 30-15 fps no matter what I do to the settings, ultra everything it is then...). I find it to be easily the best Assassin's Creed game to come out since Revelations."

I've heard a lot of people say this, that if you ignore the bugs it's actually a really good game, but the problem is that the idiots in the Publishing department at Ubisoft forced the devs to release the game before it was ready, which has resulted in it receiving terrible reviews.

Quote: "How is Steam any better? All these types of systems are completely useless."

They're only all useless if you have limited internet. If you have good internet (and, apparently, most people do), Steam is an excellent service. Lightning-fast downloads, all games contained in one place, super-easy downloads, good multiplayer services.

UPlay, on the other hand, is horrible and pointless even if you've got good internet.

Quote: "Man, I really hate annual releases."

+100 If only the publishers would let the devs take their time and do the games justice, AAA games would actually be AAA for once...

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2014 22:02
Quote: "How is Steam any better? All these types of systems are completely useless."

Steam allows me to keep multiplatform games on it; Ubisoft is locked to only ubisoft games.
Steam is way more user friendly and the UI is simple to navigate and for the most part it does not completly screw you over..
Which Ubisofts software has done.. multiple times..
Steam also has way better ways to communicate with forums, community groups; A proper good non intrusive friend list.
and it has multiplayer services that some games use (the one that CS uses I believe is tied into steam?)

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2014 18:57
None of those things about Steam apply to me. It's just a 3rd party program controlling how I can obtain my games. You know what's even faster than downloading a game? Buying the DVD.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2014 19:41 Edited at: 25th Dec 2014 19:42
How is that faster? You either have to leave the house to go get it wait for delivery. From deciding to buy a game on steam I can be playing within the hour. Not to mention the fact it's a portal to playing with your friends. How do you invite friends to a game without steam? Exchange IP addresses?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2014 11:44
Quote: "the one that CS uses I believe is tied into steam?"

Indeed. Any Valve game uses the Steamworks API for multiplayer since they're all based on the Source engine.

Quote: "You know what's even faster than downloading a game? Buying the DVD."

Only if you live in a city and can shop for the disc in person. And if you live in a city, you've likely got super-fast internet and could actually download the game faster than installing from multiple DVDs.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2014 18:14
Not to mention how easy Steam makes patching games, you often don't even notice.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

View the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2014 07:11
Quote: "Not to mention how easy Steam makes patching games, you often don't even notice."

Yeah definitely, except that that's a bad thing on our internet. We constantly have to micromanage which games can update and which can't, and when they can update. It'd be fine on fast internet (unless you go to play your favourite game just as it starts an update, that's pretty annoying).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 15:25:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 15:25:54