Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Math problem - double pendulum rk4

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2014 10:03
Hello everyone,

Hope math support is allowed in this part of the forum.

I have been working on getting the motions of a double pendulum down by using runge-kutta 4 in excel.

I have gotten these 4 equations:"attached"

Which I should be able to plug in to RK4 method.

I know that the first two equations show the angular velocity, but what do i write in excel?

I have spent way to long at this, and I'm getting tired of feeling like an idot, which surely doesn't speed up the process.

I hope someone out there can help me.

Best regards

- Ollobrains

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rezalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2014 11:17
Here is my excel sheet as well.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 18th Dec 2014 13:02
The first thing to do is to put all the numbers you know into cells, i.e. things like omega1, omega2, m1, m2, etc. But looking at your image, the first two lines define theta1' and theta2' whereas the rest of the formulae use just theta1 and theta2. Are they meant to be the same thing or are the ones without the dashes just the old values and the ones with the dashes the new ones?

Anyway, once you've clarified that issue, you need to decide whether your angles are measured in degrees or radians - and label your Excel cells accordingly (so you don't forget ). Then, when you use the cos() and sin() functions, just make sure you're using the right units, i.e. degrees or radians. If necessary do the conversion using something like "=cos(radians(theta1))" where theta1 is the cell reference containing the value of theta1. (Incidentally, I'm still using Excel 2003 and the Help file entry for COS() contains a silly typo which might confuse you. I don't know whether that error has been corrected in later versions. You'd think MS would get such things right. )