Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Does Windows 8 Refresh save ALL your files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 23rd Dec 2014 01:33
I was gonna reinstall windows today, but I noticed a feature in the settings, "Refresh your PC without losing your photos, music, videos, and other personal files". Seems like a good idea, rather than backing up a few hundred Gigabytes of files and taking hours.
Before I try it thoughm can anybody confirm if it does indeed backup ALL my files? I have files all over the place, not just in My Documents, My Pictures etc. I have a lot of files in C:/* and stuff.
Does windows 8 refresh backup all those too? I'd really like to be absolutely sure before messing with the OS

Cheers,
EB

\r\nAudacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android\r\n"When you\'ve finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Reinstalling windows without formatting just moves everything to windows.old
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 23rd Dec 2014 04:53 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2014 04:56
Quote: "Reinstalling windows without formatting just moves everything to windows.old "

SHe is not talking about Boot Reinstall, she is talking about the two Refresh options in Windows 8 not Windows 7...

Refresh with keeping files as far as I remember, best to keep important files inside Documents, Photos etc. folders... Cannot remember if it will also clear custom folders in C drive such as C:\Custom Folder

But yes, it does keep those files...

EDIT

But still best to backup everything anything could happen during the refresh...

Have you not got USB 3 or similar speedy tech?

EDIT

EB is a Female right?

My bad... corrected above...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Dec 2014 07:45
Quote: "EB is a Female right?

My bad... corrected above..."

I honestly don't know about easter bunny, last female I remember being around these forums was Vicky agggggessss ago.

easter bunny, I honestly don't know. I would follow MrValentine's advice and back everything up just to be safe, you never know what might happen, hard drive might fail as you're refreshing/reinstalling and screw you over. I've had it happen and ever since then I at least back up all the really important files I have to keep to dropbox. I also create most of my projects in the dropbox folder so that it's automatically backed up as well, in the evert my computer crashes for whatever reason.

7+ years and counting!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2014 13:41
It sounds like refresh is something that backs up the user folder, perhaps only Documents, Pictures, Videos and Music so I wouldn't substitute it for backup

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2015 13:01
Quote: "Before I try it thoughm can anybody confirm if it does indeed backup ALL my files?"

I wouldn't trust it. That's all I can say. If you've got an external drive, I would recommend you back up all your files, then attempt the "Refresh" thingy and tell us the results so... you know... so we don't have to find out ourselves

Quote: "EB is a Female right?"

Noooo.... surely not... is (s)he? No, can't be... girls don't like programming...

Now that I think about it, it's really weird that there's so few females on the forums (as in, none that I've seen). I'm assuming if a girl came along it'd be like...

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 08:21 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2015 08:28
Well, I can confirm that Windows 8 refresh does indeed backup all your files, no matter where they're stored.
Now I just feel like I wasted about 3 hours backing up files
I think I need USB 3 lol

Quote: "EB is a Female right?"

Guess you'll never know, only a few select forum users know the truth

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 14:04
Quote: "Well, I can confirm that Windows 8 refresh does indeed backup all your files, no matter where they're stored."

Awesome, good to know!

Quote: "Now I just feel like I wasted about 3 hours backing up files"

Just imagine how you'd be kicking yourself if it had failed and you hadn't backed up your files!

Quote: "Guess you'll never know, only a few select forum users know the truth"

lol

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2015 19:06 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2015 19:06
Quote: "Now I just feel like I wasted about 3 hours backing up files"

It is NEVER a waste to back things up! I try to keep everything backed up as much as possible, usually I save my projects to a Dropbox subfolder and then I never really have to worry about if my computer suddenly crashes.

An added advantage to that as well is that it's then ridiculously easy to test my AppGameKit apps on both Mac and PC. Since Dropbox is installed on both computers all I have to do is open the project up in AppGameKit and boom, instant .exe or .app depending on what platform.

Quote: "I think I need USB 3"

Yes, yes you do.

It's back, baby!
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "usually I save my projects to a Dropbox subfolder "

Git.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2015 02:19
Quote: "Git."

That's not very nice...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2015 03:44
Quote: "That's not very nice... "

Tis a terrible system... for a one man team...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Tis a terrible system... for a one man team..."

Please be trolling.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 01:03
Quote: "Please be trolling. "

Please be trolling.

[Just kidding]

Umm I think it is not needed unless you were doing an open source or intended for group team work in future... but there are more circumstances of course...

Just not for me

[I might be confusing it with things like TortoiseSVN stuff which is horrid!]

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I slightly misunderstood you, thinking that you'd said it was a terrible system and only useful for a one man team. I realise you've said it's an awful system for a one man team but you're still wrong. I bet you've got a big folder of centralized zip files?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 02:06
Actually I have that plus 5 minute timeline saving only use it when working on large projects however...

But the file matching/contents matching is a win win if you need it, not aware of any other features that are truly useful other than that...

But always happy to hear if anything special about these repo systems, but remember I do not use Public/Private Public services... I store everything onsite or on a remote storage system which is not publically accessible directly...

Circumstantial I agree

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Git is completely decentralised.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 03:45
Quote: "Git is completely decentralised. "

I understand the concept of a PULL and PUSH system, however you still miss my point... and that point is, You Use What Tools You Find Best Suited, Circumstantial

Relax, nobody is attacking you, nor your methods, I have an opinion, this is a forum, forums are for sharing ideas, showing what you can and cannot do, voicing your opinion and cooperation etc...

I have nothing against you Indicium, but I am beginning to sense trolling...

Let's grab a hot chocolate

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "remember I do not use Public/Private Public services"

I'm just telling you it's not public, you can have a repo on your local machine, push it wherever you please. There is no central server.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 04:38
OH, you mean like that... so tortoiseSVN style right?

I guess my understanding of Git is a little misunderstood then... thought it was an online repo only... I see what you mean by decentralise now...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 14:24
Quote: "OH, you mean like that... so tortoiseSVN style right?

I guess my understanding of Git is a little misunderstood then... thought it was an online repo only... I see what you mean by decentralise now..."

Don't worry, it's a complicated system to understand at times

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 18:31
Git is popular because of GitHub, which is a centralized Git server that. Git is entirely able to be offline with no remote push/pull functionality at all. And it's a heck of a lot better than huge bunch of zip files.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:47:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:47:11