Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Dark Physics - How to make moving platforms for a character controller?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2015 22:59
Hey all,

I have a working character controller and a platform I made like so:

I can move the platform like so:

My character can step up the platform without any problems, but when I move the platform, the character stays put.`How can I make it so that the player moves, and perhaps rotate with the platform?

Thanks for any assistance!

Regards Sph!nx
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 10:23
Spent an hour looking for it but cannot seam to find it, there was a demo sample which had a lift etc., you should find something on this board a few pages back too...

But just something I think that may be useful from the documentation

Quote: "
Hidden Kinematic Actors

The character controller command set creates a kinematic actor under the hood, for each controlled character. This can sometimes create some confusion for users, since the total number of actors in the scene is not what they expect, or they might receive unknown actors from scene collision queries, etc.

Time Stepping

Rigid bodies used internally by the character controller command set follow the same rules as usual Dark Physics objects. In particular, they are updated using fixed or variable timesteps. This can create troubles because the character controller objects are otherwise typically updated using variable time steps (most of the time, the elapsed time between two rendering frames). So the character controller objects are not always perfectly in sync with their kinematic actors when using fixed time steps.
"

Hope you find and share anything that helps...

Sorry I could not spend more time on it..

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 13:09 Edited at: 17th Jan 2015 13:32
No problem, MrValentine. Thanks for your effort nonetheless!

I have a theory that might work. I still need to test this out but what if I would temporarily disable the character collision (character controller) on the condition that there is no movement input and the object is in collision with the platform/elevator. This way I could use the default object movement/position commands to move with the object. The moment that there is input, or there is no longer contact between the character and platform, the collision will be reactivated.

This could perhaps work for horizontal moving platforms, but I do think this might give problems with elevators if the character does receive movement input while going upwards.

I do need to test this out and I will share my results here.

Edit
Meh, "phy get collision" does not seem to work for character controller... There goes my idea :/

I also have Dark Dynamix, perhaps I should give that a try. Too bad, I like the simplicity of Dark Physics, but perhaps it's a bit too limited...

Any suggestions are welcome!

Regards Sph!nx
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2015 01:04
Are you using any of the CCD options?

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2015 20:41 Edited at: 29th Jan 2015 20:42
CCD? What is that?

I currently use Sparky's again and intend to use physics for certain elements. Still I'd like to know how to do this.

Regards Sph!nx
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2015 20:55
Go look at the DP documentation

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2015 21:05 Edited at: 29th Jan 2015 21:11
Euhm, thanks.

I think I found it. Continuous Collision Detection. I will fiddle around with it and report my findings.

Edit
It still does not work altough now the object does fall down when the platform is no longer underneath it, so that's a step in the right direction... now just need to work out how to move the CC with the platform.

Regards Sph!nx

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:42:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:42:21