Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Making "simple" objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Folks. I have no experience with 3D editors but I don't want to create some simple objects to put into my game.

What I would like to do is build boxes and wall objects on which I can put my own textures.

Can anyone suggest a program with which I can easily do this and export into FPSC?

Thank you!
wizardious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 03:34 Edited at: 27th Jan 2015 03:44
Hey TinPusher
So, If you have no experience with 3d modelling programs, I'm not sure there is really a fast and easy way to create even simple objects. If you have the time, I would certainly recommend picking up some 3d modelling/texturing skills. If you have money to invest, 3ds max is an excellent program, and for free you can get Blender. Both are quite intimidating to a person who has no 3D experience.
Perhaps Google Sketchup would be the easiest I've seen, but I've never used it. FPSC uses .x file format for it's models, so with Sketchup-free, you can export to .dea Collada format only, which means you would have to convert it to .x format. Fragmotion is a good program to use with FPSC and you can try it free, if you are willing to say a little prayer.
(it can export to .x)
Modelling a box involves, creating a box,(easy), then you have to do a UV unwrap. UV's are texture co-ordinates. Imagine taking your box and cutting it up with scissors to lay it flat. You then have to assign each side of the box to the area of the texture you want to appear. Even a simple box can be tricky for a newbie, but like I said, it well worth it to pick up the skills if you invest the time.
Alternatively, if you just want to get your models in the game as quick as possible, I would recommend just retexturing the existing FPSC models. Most models use a .dds texture format, so you will need a program that can handle them. I like GIMP, it's free, but you may need a .dds plug-in to get it to work.(not sure if it comes pre-loaded or not.) You could also use Photoshop if you have that, but most likely will need a plug-in also. (note.) You can also use .tga format, and FPSC will auto convert it to .dds, also .jpg but I have no experience with this format in FPSC.
The good thing about using existing models, is the UV's are already mapped. Just open the image texture from the model you would like to replace,(lots of crates in Sci-fi entity section) and create your image the same size as the original. eg... 512x512. make sure your elements are in the same place as the original,eg...sides of the box, and replace the original texture with yours. I would recommend saving the original as a backup. I just simply add 'bu' to the file name, such as cratebu.dds. You could also just keep the original named as it is, save your texture with a different name, and the edit the entity's .fpe file, pointing it to your texture. eg...texturebank\user\mycrate.dds.
Hope that's not to confusing Feel free to ask any questions if you need clarification with anything.
Oh ya, if you do make your own model, you will need a .fpe entity file and a thumbnail image. I recommend the Entity Workshop,by Wehtam, which creates a basic .fpe and thumbnail for you.
TinPusher
Years of Service
User Offline
Wizard, thanks so much for the advice and instructions. I will invest some time in learning the 3d modeling universe. I truly appreciate your time!
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2015 19:58
TinPusher
If it helps any, here's a link to Anayar's from Milkshape to FPSC
tutorial with video. It helped me a lot and the info can be
applied to any 3d software you might use.
best luck

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188232&b=24

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
TinPusher
Years of Service
User Offline
nc, thank you for your assistance as well My apologies for not responding sooner.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:15:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:15:07