Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / So I just realised I've been a member for over a decade

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2015 18:35 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2015 18:39
Haven't been posting much, but I lurk from time to time. Can't believe it's been a decade. Ooft, I'm feeling old now.

I remember the good old days, especially making X-Ball on DBC http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58633&b=8, though stupid imageshack isn't showing the screenies anymore (edit: anyone know how to fix this?). And my various crappy scripting languages http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=186990&b=8, they were a lot of fun to make!

For those who care, I made a real programming language now which I use for my webdev work http://pastebin.com/GYzhe9VE

It's good to know this place is still alive. Here's to another 10 years

[edit]

Of course in all that time I still haven't learned how to post a proper hyperlink!

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 4th Feb 2015 09:47
Quote: "Here's to another 10 years"

+1

Powered by Free Banners
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2015 13:48
I've been lurking for a long time now and this year will be my 10th on the forums. Can't believe how long its been!! I joined because of FPSC EA and remember being so excited to start making games Now I mainly stick around for the GC board and seeing what you game you lot make

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2015 16:32
Slightly longer for me.

I realized today that I'm the longest serving admin staff at work - no other office employee has been here longer than me... that's some scary stuff right there - I'm getting old!

I am the one who knocks...
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2015 17:25
^^ That means you make the coffee, Van.

-Keith
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2015 23:30
Oh I passed the 10 year mark too. Wow, what have I been doing with my life?

Quote: "I realized today that I'm the longest serving admin staff at work - no other office employee has been here longer than me... that's some scary stuff right there - I'm getting old!"

I am the second longest serving person on my department. I have been here for over 2 years, the 3rd longest? Has been here 8 months. Well...I do work in a call center I suppose. But that should be testament to the kind of attrition rate you get in that kind of place.

The irony is the only manager we've had who said they'd try to tackle the attrition rate didn't stick around for very long.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2015 04:05
You're all old. I'll have been here only 5 years in May Still feels like a long time because I joined when I was so young, though

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2015 05:57
Quote: "I'll have been here only 5 years in May"
Aye, 5 years for me in September I think?

Quote: "I joined when I was so young, though"
I joined when I was even younger.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 5th Feb 2015 07:40 Edited at: 5th Feb 2015 07:41
I shall not say how young I was when I joined.
just over two years for me and still hanging around, guess it's true, you can never leave The Game Creators forums

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline

Quote: "I remember the good old days, especially making X-Ball on DBC http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58633&b=8, though stupid imageshack isn't showing the screenies anymore (edit: anyone know how to fix this?)."

I love reminiscing about old projects and such! But, it goes to show how futile things are on the Internet--most WIPs and EXEs from 5+ years ago are long since expired and gone forever. Not even archive.org cached the images you are after. I would love to revisit some old apps I wrote and others I downloaded in the very earliest days of DB Classic but alas they are no more.

I was a member on this forum since about the time it was created in 2002. I was actually in the community since late-1999 on TGC's prior forums and incarnations, when DB Classic was only on 0.4 beta! One of the original forums was hosted through darkbasic.co.uk in 1999-2001 via UltimateBB. There was also a very popular DB forum at a now defunct site called RealGameTools that lasted through 2003 or so.

It's depressing to think how many of these sites went under. There used to be dozens of great DB resource websites around with unofficial newsletters, forums etc. RealGameTools.net even hosted official DB conventions in the early-2000s, and now it hasn't existed at all for more than a decade.

People always say once something gets on the Internet it will be there forever, but I would argue in 10 years time very little that exists now will still exist! I'm happy TGC is still going though, and quite a few longtime members.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 08:00
Sun Dec 5th 2010

I should have joined at the end of December haha...

Yeah, wow time flies...

I would have been here since ~2008 but I was weary of 60% Discount banners on certain NVIDIA downloads a point I made to Rick at Play Expo a year or so ago...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 12:53
Quote: "but I was weary of 60% Discount banners on certain NVIDIA downloads"

You were tired of the banners?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 16:02
LOL

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 16:01
Ten years plus for me too. Was also on the classic and dbdn forums for a long time prior to that. Ouch. Do we get Veteran badges!?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 16:50
9 years using TGC products for me. Not yet 10 but very close

I've recently revisited my 2012 3d thread and some projects from 2009 to 2013. I believe these years was really my "prime" in terms of trying to make games. Nowadays the overall time I spend on my computer and developing stuff at all is merely a fraction of what it was in that time range yet... oddly enough, when I glance through my old stuff I have very clear memories of the thought and creative process behind it and it feels more as if it was a couple months ago.

It feels a lot as if tomorrow I'll be 25, the day after tomorrow 30, next week I'm married and have children, then I'll bury my parents, then my kids will move out and if I live that long will have a few more decades...3 to 4 concidering my ancestors...in retirment and do some gardening and then I'll be dead. The memory of me will be lost in oblivion or, if I happen to become a famous writer or such thing there will remain an idealised carricature of my character...either way not much more in this world.

The point being no attempt at highschool-level philosophy but the notion that our life is ending one moment at a time and that simple things as a forum where we share iterations of our hobby together shows it to us more than a mirror does.

Quote: "I joined when I was so young, though"

Me too!! I didn't even have any notion of the english language when I first joined.

Quote: "Veteran badges!?"

Would be cool! Anyone who jouned 10 years ago should have a badge with a little walking-cane in it.

-Wolf

"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!" - Rick Bamber
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 18:53
Quote: "Anyone who jouned 10 years ago should have a badge with a little walking-cane in it."

I should have one on at least two counts.

Quote: "It feels a lot as if tomorrow I'll be 25, the day after tomorrow 30, next week I'm married and have children, then I'll bury my parents, then my kids will move out and if I live that long will have a few more decades...3 to 4 concidering my ancestors...in retirment and do some gardening and then I'll be dead."

You've just summed up my life. [Except for the last bit I guess. ]