Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Is anyone distributing their own APK file?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2015 15:15 Edited at: 10th Feb 2015 22:23
Is anyone distributing their own APK file, instead of using Google Play, Steam, or Amazon, etc.???

Now that AppGameKit v2 is out, and building an APK file is literally as easy as filling in a few file names and pressing a button, I have my game working on a 7" tablet.

However, looking at the fee schedule for the major distribution channels I am left wondering... is it really worth 30% cut + application fee or monthly fees (Amazon charges a monthly fee of $39.99) just to have my app buried in a list of a million other apps. I mean, unless you have a Facebook full of friends who can go leave good feedback for you, that system doesn't seem to be very effective. (IMO)

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Ignatios
Years of Service
User Offline
I just started making my own game and haven't really thought about how I'm going distribute it other than google play store and make it available for iphones maybe...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2015 15:40
Firstly, your app would only be available to users who have allowed side-loading of apps. that probably reduces your market by at least 80%. When I look at immediate friends and family, of 20 or so people I'm probably the only one who even knows the setting exists, what it does and what the implications are.

Then you have the question of how you're going to tell the world your game exists. If I search for an "Android puzzle game" for example, there are 24 Million+ results. You have to fight your way through Google Play which always appears first, followed by hundreds of "Best Puzzle Games" blog sites.

The cost in time, money and not being found far outweighs the $25USD + 30% in my opinion. You could spend more cash and untold time marketing your game for almost no return. Your time is better spent developing your next game, while the first one slowly ticks over.

I won't be spending money on monthly fees, I didn't realise Amazon charged this. But a one-off lifetime fee plus a percentage of my success is OK. 30% is indeed a lot, but it's far better than the alternative options.

70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2015 16:05 Edited at: 10th Feb 2015 22:33
Quote: "Firstly, your app would only be available to users who have allowed side-loading of apps. that probably reduces your market by at least 80%. When I look at immediate friends and family, of 20 or so people I'm probably the only one who even knows the setting exists, what it does and what the implications are."

You can quote the instructions at Android for this(bottom paragraph of link), and they can set it back after the download. (they will have to do this for any app that is not from Google Play anyway!)

Quote: "Then you have the question of how you're going to tell the world your game exists. If I search for an "Android puzzle game" for example, there are 24 Million+ results. You have to fight your way through Google Play which always appears first, followed by hundreds of "Best Puzzle Games" blog sites."

There is another problem. The search engine they are using is Google. So, naturally the leading results will be for Google Play.

Quote: "I won't be spending money on monthly fees, I didn't realise Amazon charged this. But a one-off lifetime fee plus a percentage of my success is OK. 30% is indeed a lot, but it's far better than the alternative options.

70% of something is better than 100% of nothing."

I agree with everything that you are saying BatVink, because you are exactly right for that side of the coin.
People should use Google Play if they want the largest distribution for their Android apps.
I was just wondering how many people (if any) were distributing their APK file on their own.

Edit
I have set up a Google Developer Account.
The developer console they have is really nice. (Just published my first free app, awaiting approval)
It looks as if nobody at all is distributing their own APK files, so...

Will a mod please, lock this thread or delete it?

I have my answer,
THANKS

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2015 04:31
Quote: "Amazon charges a monthly fee of $39.99"

Where are you finding this.

I have been reading through the FAQ and trying to see what amazon charges. All I have found is they take 30% just like Google Play.

https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/support/faq

Im really curious because I just submitted to Amazon.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2015 02:47 Edited at: 21st Feb 2015 03:31
I took this as you have to pay that to sell anything at Amazon.

Look at the list of things in "What can I sell as a Professional?" and the "What can I sell as an Individual?".
They both say Video Games on the list.

Quote: " Q: Do I need an Amazon account to be a part of the Amazon Mobile App Distribution Program?
Yes. We recommend that you create a new Amazon account specifically for the Mobile App Distribution Program.You can create an account when you visit the Amazon developer portal. "

According to your link, there is a special program for mobile app distribution.
My page doesn't mention that unless I overlooked it.
Interesting, I'll look again.

Yeah, I got there after a search.
I should have started at Amazon's home instead and I would have seen the two links are separate and even next to each other in a list.

Thanks for spotting my mistake.

Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@Conjured I was just curious as to how your app was doing? I am still dipping my toes in the waters of AppGameKit and app creation, and released my first app to Amazon and Google Play a few days ago. So far, zero interest and downloads.

My app can at least be found on the Amazon store, however, there is no discoverability in the Play Store. Even typing the name directly will not produce a result. I read that Google dropped their new and just in feature a while ago. I am not too worried though, at this stage everything is a learning curve.

I do believe though, and this the crux of releasing all apps I think, that you app would get equal downloads outside of the play store if you had a community to "sell" into. I really hope that your app gets the attention it deserves and downloads though
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 02:23 Edited at: 25th Feb 2015 02:32
Quote: "I do believe though, and this the crux of releasing all apps I think, that you app would get equal downloads outside of the play store if you had a community to "sell" into. I really hope that your app gets the attention it deserves and downloads though"

My new app was able to be found on the store the very first day. Only 12 down the search list.
As it only has had 20 installs and 9 reviews it has moved up the list to number 2 when I search the exact name. I don't know if reviews or installs have had anything to do with it. My apps name for as far as I know is the only arcade game named "Jellyfish Dive" in the store.

Quote: "My app can at least be found on the Amazon store"

Amazon lets you type in Keywords to search for. If you typed in your apps name / anything your searching for might be why you find it so fast.
I don't know if google being the awesome search engine does this automatically, just found it strange Amazon asked for keywords and Google Play did not.
Also I have found when searching for apps on Google Play if your app has spaces in its name for instance "Jellyfish Dive" Google searches for "Jellyfish", "Dive", "Jellyfish Dive". So it can bring up so many options with ratings listing on the top.(That's just my educated guess.) That could be causing problems when searching for new apps.

Quote: " I think, that you app would get equal downloads outside of the play store if you had a community to "sell" into."

I have been thinking about this also but my thoughts are people like things easy. Everyone knows how to use there app store on there phones. So im going to keep my apps on such stores but advertising on facebook is something im looking into.
You can create an add on facebook to advertise your app(Cost Money) select how much your willing to spend and set the lifetime of the add. Depending on how much money you allow a day to advertise is the amount of adds that will be shown over the life time of your add. Example $5 a day at a $100 cap will set your add life at 20 days. Facebooks adds will redirect the user to your Google Play link. You can also do this with out paying by just posting on your wall. Copy and past your google Play Apps link into your wall post and it will bring up info of your app with a picture automatically.(This only reaches out to your friends)

Edit: There are also a few Gamming Chat forums / Game Dev Forums etc out there on the net you could showcase on. If you wanted to keep up with such sort of thing. Remember to read the rules and make sure your not out of line by showcasing your work before posting. Remember your google play app link is your best friend.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 00:08 Edited at: 26th Feb 2015 16:42
Quote: "@Conjured I was just curious as to how your app was doing? I am still dipping my toes in the waters of AppGameKit and app creation, and released my first app to Amazon and Google Play a few days ago. So far, zero interest and downloads."

They are coming along nicely, thanks.
I have opted to do Google Play and FlexIndie to start with a few FREE apps.

The idea is to get the free apps out, then build 2nd versions with upgrades for a small fee, for the most successful free apps.
Then I will have 2 versions of each release.. the FREE try before you buy, and the budget minded version 2 if you like it.

FlexIndie is launching March 1st, and I like their 'twist'.
The first Friday of every month, a buyer can 'pay what you want'.
The link above is the FlexIndie JAM 1, which is going to be another great aspect of their site. (gotta love the JAMs)

Quote: "I do believe though, and this the crux of releasing all apps I think, that you app would get equal downloads outside of the play store if you had a community to "sell" into. I really hope that your app gets the attention it deserves and downloads though"

THANKS!
Congratulations on getting your developers badge.

Yeah, Crux is a cool word as a constellation too. (southern cross)
Emphasis on sell noted.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:49:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:49:04