Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / AGK2 reducing apk size

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am a new AGK2 user (and new to Android dev), so this is all a bit hazy to me.

I am exporting for android from a PC, I noticed the packed file that is created is ~7mb in size even though the code I'm compiling is just a few lines - is this normal?

I noticed in the packed file there are three large lib folders (armeabi, x86 etc). Do I need all of these? Is there a way to reduce the apk size?

TIA
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 16:24
7MB is about the base size for an APK.
My current project is about 3,000 lines and the APK is 7,614MB.

The extra weight is the engine beneath your code, that converts our simple sprite creations into OpenGL commands, for example.

Quote: "Is there a way to reduce the apk size?"

I don't know the answer but I imagine that it contains everything needed for all APK platforms (e.g Google Play, Amazon). Maybe it could be smaller for a single-market release, let's hope somebody with more technical knowledge sees this thread, I'm interested too.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 20:11
I can't see the amount of code memory being a major issue. What could bloat it is lots of high res graphics, and maybe ultra large WAV or MP3 files ?

(About 70% of that 7Mb is Apple's multi-size icons ....)
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2015 05:07 Edited at: 14th Feb 2015 05:09
Quote: "I don't know the answer but I imagine that it contains everything needed for all APK platforms (e.g Google Play, Amazon). Maybe it could be smaller for a single-market release, let's hope somebody with more technical knowledge sees this thread, I'm interested too."

I'm not sure either, but I would imagine that some of that stuff is in there for greater device compatibility.
Supporting 8,204 Android devices is impressive, and 7mb is not that large.
So, I would leave it in as to not foul up any of AGK's greatness.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:03:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:03:25