Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Up to now from the time when I decided to make a game and came across at tgc

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2015 15:29
Hu Too much times gone and here seems like having many changes. I rewind some moments that I was acting at this forum in my old days. but I have been injured for real problems, that is, around me nobody accept that I want to make a game really what is worse, in my nation most people who work making a policy or is teacher hates cultures for gamer , developer etc also all the people who works in school wanted to make their students only solve the problems they have for only good scores not for its own sake not for their dreams ... one of them is me. I feels like a victim for educational revenue for educational institution ...
I lost many times because of studying solution skills of final test for attending a college or university. at seventeen, I realized that I should learn more math knowledge to my game but I miss the time for learning math also school lessons didn't fit for me to think to principles. I ended up straggler with no attending to cols or unis changed educational policy so I'm studying subjects and contents for new curriculum. um I don't have any force for being angry at this system and prejudices. just I'm envy ...
I don't know really how to do anything at present situation. recently I coded a part of engine for my game ... well on a sudden I wanted to visit this forum... Hu

:: PUPPYSSS TECHNIQUES :: [href]http://puppyssstechniques.raonnet.com/[href]
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2015 18:25
And where is it that you are from?

making games is a nice hobby but I wouldn't take it as a career goal, especially not in a developing nation.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
puppysss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 02:08
yep I'm from south korea I believed the hobby will become all of my life when I reach present age. but It was broken into pieces but maybe it may help me write more abundant stories with real problems to my game world of course I changed game stories three years ago.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 11:52
It's the same no matter where you study - teachers aren't interested in what else you've coded, they don't have the time - they are only interested in if you can do the course work.

But maybe that's for the best. Nobody really gets to be an indie developer full time, not until they start making actual money with their projects, and no matter what a videogame course might promise, it just wont happen... professional development houses expect a degree or a shedload of experience, you don't really get these from videogame courses.

What strikes me is that you say ''I believed the hobby will become all of my life when I reach present age. but It was broken into pieces''

So can anyone name a famous/successful game developer who owes it all to the college they went to?

Higher education tends to be about investigation and solving skills, using standard practices and an ability to adhere to requirements... nobody said they were designed to produce individuals
Game development is not strictly a career, it can be a hobby, it can be a side job, it can be something you do instead of going on holidays, or when your ill. College should teach you the skills to be a better developer, not how to work on your own portfolio.

But the main thing is that it's a fairly even playing field - 1 guy working on his own might make a lot more money and reach a lot more people that a whole team - it's happened a few times, and even fairly small teams like Vlambeer are kicking ass. Notch didn't go to game developer class, and he's worth more money than some countries!

I am the one who knocks...
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 00:00
Quote: "teachers aren't interested in what else you've coded, they don't have the time - they are only interested in if you can do the course work."

Not always. My highschool teacher for pascal (and C++) liked seeing the different things I could add to our homework.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
puppysss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 03:37
Quote: "It's the same no matter where you study - teachers aren't interested in what else you've coded, they don't have the time - they are only interested in if you can do the course work."

I really agree with your saying like this. but I omitted many important things.
virtually, when I was attending a high school for technical instructions I went to the IT technology club in my high school and then I was really happy but received some notices for regional game contest they said "you must only memorize your all source code and you will unfold your game sources because in stage you don't have any papers or informations for your developing game". oh well I was dizzy. so I was an outcast in my long school days ( since elements school ) because of a few different things of hobbies , thoughts , incapability of how to smoking , lowest physical power with small tall , penniless with no-phone no-purse... etc. you know I anticipate that you looked some articles about korean educations. really attending a school most of classes were stained with violent with overseers having only thought that they want to extract only the smart or the obedient with they denied violent situations despite they witnessed. ( well you may not believe with it ) of course the people who goes abroad for studying aren't related with it and most of them are the riches from Gangnam or other region of riches.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 15:57:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 15:57:23