Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / How can I sort type definitions into multiple agc files? (#include/#insert/#etc)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everybody. I'm having some sort of dependencies problem.

I'm trying to figure out how I can define types in one agc file, and then reference those types from a different agc file, when neither of these are the main.agc file.

Here's a heavily simplified example, which shows what I'm trying to do:

main.agc

types.agc

gridstuff.agc

I've tried both #include and #insert, and I've tried moving the definition of DepthOf to the other agc files (although even if it worked that's a problem conceptually).

Basically I can't seem to get main.agc to understand that the grid creation and manipulation functions (in gridstuff.agc) are using types that have been defined (in types.agc).

It's mean time. *averages*
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 00:45
Your 'blah blah' excertp for gridstuff.agc looks like you don't have the 'endfunction' statement for PrepGridTiles. It may just have disappeared when you did the 'blah blah'. But, if it is actually missing, that is what may be causing the problem.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 12:06
DepthOf as DepthSet

should be

Global DepthOf as DepthSet

The way you've written it, types.agc needs to be an #insert, not a #include.
If you use #include, all of your code (but not type definitions and declarations) needs to be in functions.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Greenwich
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 21:03 Edited at: 17th Feb 2015 21:45
Global! I remember being told not to overuse global variables, back in high school programming or something, so I probably overcompensate and forget to use them even when they're warranted. This is really a perfect example of when to use a global variable.

Anyway, I tried it and it works perfectly. Thanks!

It's mean time. *averages*
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 23:47
Globals are fine - you just minimise them. You have to have them in some way shape or form.

What you should avoid - sounds like you are doing - is having them all over the place - group data together in types. I tend to have seperate types and the functions that work on those types all in seperate files.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:49:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:49:56