Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I'm Lost

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 04:24
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 04:28
K great.

"Sorry, you can redo your sig...Stupid Mod pressed the wrong button." - JLJupiterCat
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 01:29 Edited at: 13th Mar 2015 01:31
I would say set a realistic goal of a job/career you're able to get and something that you enjoy doing. That is the goal I myself have settled for.

I was expecting my University degree would open all sorts of doors for me, but due to the high number of graduates and falling job markets, it has been difficult for many to get a job, let alone one they like, let alone what they were hoping for. It is a common story, some have managed, but of course, for every success story, there are many failures. I was 21 and without a job, I have one now and I hate it, but it's a job. It's a minimum wage customer services role and for the work I do, I am largely underpaid.

It does suck. But, you don't have to go out and get a degree to get what you want. The advantage of our types here is that we're computer geeks and the IT Industry is a big industry with a large range or role types and many that are well paid and there's a lot of qualifications and courses (including online) that aren't going to leave you in a lot of debt and can aid you in getting those jobs.

Of course, some online training that's complete rubbish - avoid Reed.co.uk's courses or anything Skillsoft, I found they were overpriced and don't teach you very well. Also Computeach is over priced and forces you into a contract. For IT, Lynda, Pluralsight and Treehouse have all seemed to provide useful and in depth services without breaking the bank. Granted they don't provide the qualifications, but have a wealth of training you can use if you decide to do any certification exams and provide a wealth of knowledge you can put into practice. Passing an exam is one thing, being able to put skills to use is another.

I don't know how effective it is in getting the attention of employers, I'll report back when I get to a point when I am confident enough to look for work.

Another thing to think about is with these low paid, low level jobs, are you able to get into companies that can offer you progress within the company, because you may find /other/ opportunities within. The job you don't like doesn't have to be a deadend job, sometimes it's a foot in the door.

Robert F
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 23:23 Edited at: 6th Apr 2015 00:26
Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while! Thanks for the advice everyone. As of now I'm working a part time job, and looking into an apprenticeship still. I'm also working on some 3D models on the side!

~Fps Creator since 2008~

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:25:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:25:41