Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / How flexible is a Model and Skeleton (Noobish Qn)?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 03:37
Hi guys, I'm getting into DBP after a long break away. Most my experience is from the 80s / 90s and although not a noob programmer, am still getting to grips with DBP.

Currently I'm looking for a solution to a modelling problem.

Is there an easy way to create a 3D model that can "Evolve" - such as grow extra limbs, additional features (ie humanoid ears) - with an animation.

In general, it would be like a blob of primordial slime oozing around, sprouting first one pair of legs (biped walking) then two, to finally have an animated walk like a quadruped ( dog, wolf etc) or even more ... like a spider (or even an alienoid with four arms and four legs).

Would I HAVE to use multiple ani frames and models, to cover all combinations, or is there a way of cutting repetition out ?

[u]

If at first you don't succeed - Hide the evidence
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 23:00
I'd try with having smaller versions of the model you wish to morph in either within or below the base model and the animation would be challenging. This would, in general, be a very large challenge for the animator.

I have rarely seen anything like it in AAA games, and when I did, you could often see it glitch a little...never seen this in an indie title.

I don't want to be a downer but I don't think the result would be worth the effort. And to answer your question: Skeletal animation is not that flexible when it comes to having a changing mesh.

-Wolf

"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!" - Rick Bamber
Bardolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 03:45
Thanks Wolf,

Hmmm... I wasn't too sure on the complexity of the task in hand as I know next to nothing on the animation side.

I did guess its a large portion though, and your reply does confirm that I'm probably biting off more than I can chew.

Looks like shelving my Spore-like ORPG for the bigger players and teams.

Project #2 is now Project #1 LOL

Regards,
Bardolf

If at first you don't succeed - Hide the evidence
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 16:25
Quote: "I'm probably biting off more than I can chew."

We gamemakers do that constantly, don't we!

But yeah, better tackle something that is worth the effort and delivers good results!

"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!" - Rick Bamber

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:50:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:50:54