Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Sasuke Remakes Projects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 00:52 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 01:01
Hi Guys, Sasuke here and I've got an idea I need alittle help with.

Every now and then I take breaks from my main project and remake things from other games in DBP. I see it as a sort of challenge to see if I can recreate something I see and it can be all types of things, a game menu, an effect within a game or a game in itself (last thing I made was the begin few levels of the game VVVVVV).

Now I want to do the same thing but make a sort of diary of my workings, mostly in video form and comments. Share my experiences with taken on the challenges step by step and use it as a sort of learning tool for those wondering how to make something and also for myself.

So I need something to make and need some ideas, so if you have any please send them my way

Note: It can be simple (so on a beginner level) or advanced, anything you guys would want to see be made or try to be made.

"Get in the Van!" - Van B
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 04:31
I'd still love to see a Dragon Force style battle system made in dbp. Ashingda 27 and a few others have tried, but as far as I know no one is actively working on something like that. It might be too complex for an in-between project though.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 04:39
For some reason when I read this I immediately thought of Teleglitch. I think the reason is that I remember being amazed when I discovered the astounding simple way they'd implemented line-of-sight blocking - just create black 3D boxes in exactly the same shape as the level geometry and have them extend all the way up past the camera! Cool game, simple graphics but an assortment of gameplay features.

On Steam!
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 10:16 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 16:25
@wattywatts I've never played Dragon Force but looking at a video the way I'd go about it is design the battle system as dots on a grid, once the dot battle system works like the game then I'd translate that visually with sprites and what not. I will have to play it to get further understand of it but looking at a video I can tell the troops move between points on a grid so I'd start there.

@BMacZero again another game I've not played but seen and it sure is an interesting way of handling it. I need to play this. Looking at the video the blocking volumes are not static, they flex based on where the player is. So that means each joint or edges where blocking volumes meet have a minimum and maximum distance from the player. When the play is close it moves them outwards away from the player. I'd probably do this in 2d (though the game looks like it's made entirely 3d but it's the same principle) first, have points that represent where blocking volumes meet (which is all the corners edges of the map bounds) and get them to respond to the player. Then I'd work out the distance and angle between the points and put a plane there which extends upwards.

Any more ideas guys? Keep them coming

Note: Teleglitch is at the top of my list to do at the moment

"Get in the Van!" - Van B

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 08:40:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 08:40:44