Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Pc Building Problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 21:13
So, I decided to upgrade from my FX-6100 to an i7 4790k and thus had to change my motherboard along with it. Long story short, I'm at the final stage of wiring but I lack any form of 8-pin (or 4-pin) connector to put in the 8-pin socket at the top of the motherboard. What I have remaining are a couple of 6+2 pin connectors (identical to the ones I put in the graphics card). Unfortunately, only the 6 pin connector plays ball with the socket, the 2-pins are the wrong shape.

So I'm asking for any advice, this is my first build and I don't want to burn my money (or the house) from a trivial mistake.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 21:20 Edited at: 20th Mar 2015 21:20
Ah, in my experience building a computer, not all of the connectors will go to something, and not all of the sockets will have a connector in them. If you have things that won't fit together, they aren't meant to go together. You already know that, of course. As long as everything that fits together is connected, though, I think you will be good to go. The motherboards and power supplies are designed to make it pretty hard to mess things up.

I may be wrong, though, so I would wait until another member posts here as well.

"Sorry, you can redo your sig...Stupid Mod pressed the wrong button." - JLMoonDog
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 21:30
No, that is a not an upgrade if some parts are not compatible and some cut your CPU power due to insufficient bandwidth like old memory.

Buy a ready PC or buy parts similar to ready solutions.

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 21:38
Quote: "Buy a ready PC or buy parts similar to ready solutions."

I really wanted to build a PC for myself and am currently mid-build. Everything else is connected and fine, only this one socket is causing any issues.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 21:40 Edited at: 20th Mar 2015 21:45
A 6 pin GPU connector is not compatible with an 8 pin mobo connector. I've fried a PSU tester trying it out so I imagine it will also fry your motherboard. You need to connect the 4 pin mobo connector that's on your PSU to the 8 pin connector on the motherboard. You probably don't need a converter but if it doesn't boot you can use this molex or 4 pin to 8 pin converter :

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-6in-Pin-Power-Adapter/dp/B002O21XHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426883918&sr=8-1&keywords=molex+to+8+pin

Note that you would only plug in either 4 pin connector if you have it or the molex to that adapter, but not both. Scratch that, on second look it appears you plug in both your 4 pin and molex to get power to the 8 pins.

Quote: "I really wanted to build a PC for myself and am currently mid-build. Everything else is connected and fine, only this one socket is causing any issues. "

I got ya covered.

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 21:44
I'm not seeing any 4pin connectors though. I should probably mention that the psu in question is the Cooler Master B700.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 21:46 Edited at: 20th Mar 2015 21:47
Then you're in luck:

http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/b-series/b700/

The 4+4pin x1 connector plugs into your mobo. See the image on that page. Make sure you don't try and use the 6+2 connector on the mobo.

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 21:51
I've found it in one of the drive bays...

I think a lot of cursing is in order...
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 23:31 Edited at: 20th Mar 2015 23:36
Building a PC is not an silly RPG game where you put the best gear you find to raise your stats. When building a PC you need to check not only the sockets, but all max bandwidth (and other stats) of all parts, they must be the same. Also check firmwares! Esp. for MoBo. Or you may get half of true power or even slower PC than before. True story, bro.

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 23:48
I powered it up. So far so good, was getting decent frames in Star Citizen at max settings and nothing caught fire. (Yay!) I'll heed mr Handy's advice and go deeper into how my pc is running tomorrow, for now everything seems to be working as it should. Thanks for the support guys.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 00:50
Quote: "Building a PC is not an silly RPG game where you put the best gear you find to raise your stats. When building a PC you need to check not only the sockets, but all max bandwidth (and other stats) of all parts, they must be the same. Also check firmwares! Esp. for MoBo. Or you may get half of true power or even slower PC than before. True story, bro."

Sure it is. I plug in new parts whenever I get the money and the inkling. Right now my dual socket server is running with half the ram and one cpu, one day I'll double it's capacity for like 50 bucks.

It's all about how much you want to spend and what you're looking for. There's *always* something better out there. No sense in obsessing. The only important thing is it does what you want it to do.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 15:21
Quote: "It's all about how much you want to spend and what you're looking for."

<facepalm.jpg>

So you are smart enough to pay for better RAM PC3-12800 for your PC3-10600 MoBo? Eh?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 21:22
Quote: "So you are smart enough to pay for better RAM PC3-12800 for your PC3-10600 MoBo? Eh? "

Sure if it offers better timings and/or it's the same price. Yes you are right you gotta be careful with compatibility, but at the end of the day that wasn't his problem.

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2015 00:49
If there is only one problem I am finding, it's that the CPU is running rather hot... It's probably due to my use of the stock CPU cooler with the pre-applied thermal paste, and I've also probably done something wrong while mounting it to the CPU.

It's nothing that can't be fixed though, with reapplication of the stock cooler or using a different cooler, and it hasn't gotten SO hot that Windows BSODs. (Yet.)

But it's pretty damn hot...
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2015 01:14
How hot is it? Should be under 70c pretty much all the time.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2015 03:57
If it's Intel, you can run it up to 100c with no problems(though I don't recommend it by any means).

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2015 17:32
The highest it goes is the mid 80's so pretty damn hot.

When not doing much, it goes from 48-ish to mid 50s, although on occasion it does hit 60.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2015 18:42
Better CPU cooling should be your first priority - never rely on stock cooling on a PC you plan to play games on. You should get a nice big CPU fan (you don't really have to spend a fortune), some decent thermal paste, and install some fan control software.

I am the one who knocks...
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2015 20:56
That seems about right for the stock cooler although it is a little high. As for installing fan control software, I wouldn't bother with that, the bios usually does a good job of taking care of it.

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2015 20:57
Quote: "Better CPU cooling should be your first priority - never rely on stock cooling on a PC you plan to play games on. You should get a nice big CPU fan (you don't really have to spend a fortune), some decent thermal paste, and install some fan control software."

Already got myself a new fan (Cooler Master Hyper 412s to be precise) and am now just waiting on some lovely jubbly thermal paste.

And then... after a little bit of tinkering I should finally be done.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2015 01:40
Cooling is important, PSU is also important. Never skimp on a PSU, a good one can last years longer than any other component.

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2015 15:25 Edited at: 24th Mar 2015 15:26
After installing my new cooler, I can say that I am officially done. The new temps are a good 20-30 degrees lower than with the stock cooler and thermal paste. Thanks for all the tips guys.

I knew I could always count on this forum for constructive advice.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 21:31
SeaSonic has the best PSUs I think.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:58:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:58:48