Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Why won't Firefox start?

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 06:02 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2015 06:04
Earlier, Firefox was working perfectly fine. My Internet connection died for a few minutes, and when it came back, Firefox immediately crashed. I had to close it using Task Manager, but then I discovered that it would no longer start. I looked at the processes list in Task Manager, and saw that about 25 firefox.exe were running; I had three tabs open when it crashed. I closed those all, and tried to start Firefox again. When I double clicked the desktop icon, a process would start in task manager, but no windows or anything graphical related to Firefox would show up. I did a clean reinstall (uninstall, delete program folder, reinstall) two times, but the issue prevails. It simply refuses to start for anything. Thankfully Chrome still works! I have no idea what's going on, and I can't see much online that I haven't already tried, but if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Thanks.

"Sorry, you can redo your sig...Stupid Mod pressed the wrong button." - JLMoonDog
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 09:04
Apparently this is quite a common problem: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox/fix-problems
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 13:48
Should be using Internet Explorer 6. It's still the best
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 14:23
Really? I prefer Netscape Navigator.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 15:25
Thanks guys, very helpful insight & problem solved.

"Sorry, you can redo your sig...Stupid Mod pressed the wrong button." - JLMoonDog
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 15:46
Thanks for posting the solution for everyone to learn from.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 18:04
This has probably happened to me at least twice.

I don't remember how I fixed it to be honest. Did you restart your computer? It could be as simple as that.

The formatting keeps messing itself up thanks to the Apollo Forums poltergeist!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 00:20 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2015 00:33
Quote: "Thanks for posting the solution for everyone to learn from."
I was being sarcastic when I said the problem was solved.

Quote: "Did you restart your computer?"
I do have yet to try this! I shall do it sometime soon and report back with the results.

EDIT It lives!!! Decided to give it another random try, and it opened up with a message saying that it was "embarrassed that it couldn't open my previous session". It's alright there, non sentient piece of software, I forgive you.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 00:56
You actually posted asking for help before even restarting your computer to see if that helped?
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 01:27
Quote: "You actually posted asking for help before even restarting your computer to see if that helped?"
In my experience, that rarely fixes anything.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In my experience, that rarely fixes anything."

Is this a joke? There's not a problem that can't be fixed with a restart.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 03:07
Quote: "In my experience, that rarely fixes anything. "

Depends on your OS. In Linux-land, maybe. On Windows, restarts could cure the equivalent of world hunger.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 03:10
Quote: "There's not a problem that can't be fixed with a restart."
Restarting is definitely not a fix all. If only it was. Now sure, I have noticed general performance improvements from restarting, but it is indeed rare that I have a specific problem that is solved by restarting. Granted, I don't usually have that many problems. I also reinstall Windows up to once a year or so, which keeps things fresh. Some people think that's totally silly, but my OCD says that a totally fresh start is the only way to go if you want a factory fresh experience. Although that sort of contradicts my philosophy on restarting, doesn't it?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 04:33
Have you tried restarting your computer?

Need help with C/C++ game dev? PM me or add me on skype: the__comet.
Current active project: Light Ship
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 06:24
it's not a fix all, but anything involving old / bad tasks and processes preventing a program from staring pretty much always gets fixed by a restart in windows.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 18:32 Edited at: 4th Apr 2015 18:42
We are currently discussing a problem with the worst version of Firefox I have ever seen. I have used the browser since version 1; v35 version has gone as far as crash my whole system (for nothing more than browsing a webpage). I would like to restart my PC to fix the problem, but Firefox restarts it for me... v36 seems to have corrected the problem, but I find that I have to deal with wierd Flash player inconsistencies and crashes.

This is the first month I have ever used used Chrome as my main browser; although I still prefer Firefox's bookmarking and debugging system; at least Chrome does not ever crash on this system. If the next version of Firefox is an improvement I will go back.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 02:13
I've always used FF as my primary browser, I'm on 36 right now, and an update to 37 is available, I've never had any issues with it.

I do use Chrome from time to time, but everytime I do, it just seems unbearably slow starting up, working with settings etc. pages load ok, its just the browser functionality itself that seems very sluggish.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 02:31
Quote: "I do use Chrome from time to time, but everytime I do, it just seems unbearably slow starting up, working with settings etc. pages load ok, its just the browser functionality itself that seems very sluggish.
"

I find the exact opposite, whenever I use Firefox it seems oppressively slow compared to when I use Chrome.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 02:44
I find both browsers to be pretty excellent. I've used Chrome since mod 2010 or so, and only very recently switched to Firefox. The main reason I switched was because I was getting tired of many standard texts not rendering correctly (vary aliased, usually, or blurry) on Chrome as well as some much faster loading times with Wix (I am using that to create a website currently). Some bits of Firefox's UI I do not favor as much, but overall, I have found Firefox to be a browser that slightly better suits my needs. Chrome is still great though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:37:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:37:48