Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Creating levels?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2015 09:17
I was wondering how to create levels kind of like geometry dash or mr. jump. I looked into Overlap2D, but didn't know how to integrate that with AGK. How do you guys make levels? Thanks for any help.

~isaac
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2015 17:00
Most people end up making their own. This is a useful article.

There are also utilities for creating levels, but I haven't used any so I can't comment.

You could also try the placement editor that comes with AppGameKit, you'll find it in the installation folder somewhere.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
isaackoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2015 00:29
Thanks, I'll take a look into that stuff.

~isaac
Scifictus
Years of Service
User Offline
I find using Excel can be really good for level creation. You can set it up in a square grid layout, then manually enter different letters/codes that are user-friendly into each cell. You can use conditional formatting to alter the look of the cell depending on those codes so you see a rough approximation (using shading, Windings symbols etc) and the best part is that you can then have excel build the entire level code that you can sumply copy and paste into a TXT file.

Below is a screenshot from my current level editor. The left hand section is where I type in letter-codes, conditional formatting makes these look something like graphics, and then the right hand section turns everything into a format I want to use in my CSV file (in this case concatenated 4-digit numbers that I 'readline'). It does this via a lookup table that converts my letter codes into number codes that I will use in my game. I can tweak my levels visiually then just copy and paste the right hand section into a TXT file. Job done!

isaackoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 03:55
Thanks Scifuctus for your response, I'll have to try that out.

~isaac

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:37:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:37:30