Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Spriter To AGK, whats the method?

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 16:56
Not being very graphically minded I decided to extend the budget on my AppGameKit experiment and purchase some high quality graphics from a vendor ..... now what!, I seem to be missing a link!

I have some monstrously huge png exports (1024x793 and smaller) and the Spriter .scml file so I can export reduced size png's but I don't get quite how to go about, what % do I reduce to make all sprites fit in a 1024x1024 image as theres quite a few, or can I use multiple images or extend animations somehow?, how do I arrange the sprites on the image so AppGameKit knows where to find each frame, do I build a uniform grid and waist lots of alpha with the smaller sprites or pack them tight and use <missing-link> to locate the frames .... Iv seen atlas files that are pretty random but yet work in game ..... how?

Iv been messing with this all day and got pretty much nowhere, I done a single animation for a single sprite and at current pace not all of the frames will fit in the 1024 image, I guess what asking is what is the standard practice for making a sprite sheet AppGameKit can read and manage from a HD Spriter project with many animations per character without devoting half my life to it!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 18:44
There is no direct spriter support in AGK. There are skeleton import commands in v2 for spine (similar to spriter) but currently you would have to export spritesheets from spriter to use any spriter assets or create your own spriter functions. i am a highly experienced AppGameKit programmer and gave up on this...

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 23:46
Yes I understand that but the route from A to B is not clear, I am exporting sprites of slightly different sizes from Spriter as its percentage based export scaling, I have tried various 'packer' tools but none seem to let me select a uniform output frame for a grid approach so I'm left with a spritesheet with animations I cant sync with SetSpriteAnimation

I don't want to load single images as there's going to be quite a lot so its either crack open GIMP and make my own grid or somehow make use of the output from EG: TexturePacker << that's the bit I'm not getting, do I resort to LoadSubImage with AddSpriteAnimationFrame for every frame of every animation or is there a way to tell AppGameKit 'look, use this file, the images are here'

I feel like I'm missing a link, if there isn't one, there should be lol
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 01:08
Maybe if you could give an example of the output you are getting from spriter we could try to figure the best way to import it into AppGameKit (assuming you are only using spritesheets).

I have a full spriter license but I've hardly used it since Spine became usable in AGK.

If the images are all the same size it is easy, otherwise you may need to create a "subimages" text file which may become more complicated as the sprite would need to be resized each frame... whatever happens we need to see an example output from spriter. draw over it with a watermark if you are worried about sharing.

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 02:14
Unfortunately I'v had to use cropping in Texture Packer to fit all the animation images for a single sprite into a 1024x1024 image so yes the sizes fluctuate some what as you can see from the output below but the images are subject to license so I'd better not post 'out-of-bounds' of that agreement

I think as I'm far more comfortable working with code than images or graphical tools I'm going to take the output I got and write a importer, I think the automated tools have taken me as far as they can I just didn't want to over complicate what's usually done in a single function call

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:34:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:34:34