Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Web Tutorials?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 18:41
I'm relatively new to programming. I know some basic Python and Java but probably couldn't make much more than a calculator or text based game out of either language. Is there a good set of tutorials explaining the syntax and theory?
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 19:48
There is not much. Google will point you to most of user created content. TGCs AppGameKit help page is probably the most complete info on agk.

http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/home.html
AAChaoshand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 20:02
Hmm...Not sure I would want to purchase a product if the documentation is more geared towards someone that has learned a language then. I'm still a new guy to the programming scene. While I know what arrays, loops, objects, and classes are, I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping money on a program that doesn't have enough documentation.
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 22:44
The language is BASIC (or C++ if you work with tier 2). You can apply any tutorials for these languages to AppGameKit, and then build on it with the AGK-specific commands.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 22:52
I am also relatively new to programming, and in my opinion, it is worth the money. It was somewhat easy for me to pickup and have a simple pong type game made in just a few days using the demo version. After playing around with it for a few weeks I bought it on steam during a sale. I'm confident that you won't regret purchasing agk. Actually, it's 40% off on steam right now and ends on the 19th.
AAChaoshand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 00:54
Well I took the plunge and picked up the software on Steam. I am going to start going over some of the AGK1 free chapters tonight to get acquainted with the language. I'm not new to programming concepts but I'm also nearly incompetent with programming since all I can do is make a calculator at best with maybe some text based applications. Wish there was a full blown AGK2 tutorial but I will manage.
AAChaoshand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 01:53
I went over the stuff on the AppGameKit site, that is exactly what I need. I might have mistaken those pages for something else. Thanks a bunch folks!
AAChaoshand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 23:59
I'm wondering if I built some small practice programs if those would be subject to being posted as a help document for those in my situation? I figure if I can write something and explain it, it has to be in the lowest possible terms then.
AAChaoshand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 04:40
So I am doing the tutorials but I've noticed the IDE doesn't display the results of things like other IDEs do. For instance

The above code is obvious in what it does but I can't keep it on the screen so I can see the output. This can detract from my learning since I can't verify the program is doing what I want it to do. Now I could just execute a do / loop sequence but that won't work well for what code that is similar to the above. Is there anyway to execute the above code and keep it on the screen so I ca view it much like Java's IDE Eclipse or Pythons IDE does?
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 17:32 Edited at: 15th Apr 2015 17:51
AGK is geared more for games so expect to use a do loop.

Here is an example.

I understand it is not a necessity but you won't really know whats going on. Of course, you could write to files as an output but it would probably be easier to use the screen, if you're just playing around.
AAChaoshand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 04:22
That helps. So from what I gather, if I want to see any sort of graphical output, whether it be text or actual graphics, I need the window sizes and resolutions? I think that is where my hiccup was as I don't totally understand that portion of AppGameKit as simple as it may seem. I didn't even know the difference between print and printc until tonight when I was messing around with examples and reading help docs.
AAChaoshand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 04:54
Finished the basic principal tutorials today. Most of it was more of a reinforcement/refresher course while learning some of the syntax. My next question now is, where do I start in making a very basic game? I was thinking a text based adventure to start off and then get into a 2d game like pong. I really want to get this stuff down pat so I can begin on a project I want to start.
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 07:47
Both of those are easily do-able with AGK. I guess it would be your preference. I have to say though, it is so rewarding to make a 2d based game like pong. That is where I started.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 10:02
You can download the first eight chapters of Hands On AppGameKit BASIC 2 (which is written for AppGameKit 2) for free from www.digital-skills.co.uk and that takes you all the way from absolute beginner to a Spot the Differences picture game.
AAChaoshand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 23:58
I'll take a look at that AppGameKit Basic 2 book. I wish we could get the full .PDF from them but they only ship hard copies now apparently.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 12:02
@AAChaoshand I'm not sure who 'they' are , but you can get the full AppGameKit BASIC 1 book in PDF form from either TGC or Digital Skills. The full AppGameKit 2 book hasn't been completed yet.
AAChaoshand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 23:01
I was speaking of the author. I thought I had read somewhere the AGK2 book was going to be hardback only but I may be mistaken. The AGK1 book is good for sure but I'm using the AGK2 incomplete version for now since I feel confident enough with code that I just need both a refresher and the syntax.
Everything right now feels a bit overwhelming since I am new to the game scene and basic coding is all I have really ever dealt with. I'm sure things will get a bit better, it also helps that I'm explaining basics to another buddy of mine that will be helping me. Forces me to know what I think I know and proves to myself I'm not a complete imbecile. I just need to learn how to do user input like a mouse click or some input from a keyboard and I think I can begin my first mini-game.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2015 08:49
@AAChaoshand I have left you a message in the personal section
AAChaoshand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 01:39
Responded, thank you sir.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:37:34