Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Windows 10 subscription?

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 19:45 Edited at: 14th May 2015 19:47
Do you remember this thread?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=211087&b=2

Take a look to this article
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/195592-with-windows-10-microsoft-could-move-to-a-subscription-based-model

I feel vindicated (but not I am not happy if this is going to be true...)
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 19:59
Depends if it's subscription only. Based on how MS currently are doing things with their other products, subscription is an option, but the option to buy a standalone version is there.

If it goes subscription only, then I suspect MS wouldn't make much money with Windows 10, because people would likely stick to Windows 7 or 8.

But it is a nice option to have, should you prefer the subscription model.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 21:09
Quote: "If it goes subscription only, then I suspect MS wouldn't make much money with Windows 10, because people would likely stick to Windows 7 or 8. "
If MS were Apple, such a problem would be impossible.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 01:24
If I were to guess it sounds like MS is going the oem-only route. One OS for one PC. That will be great for us system builders who do rolling hardware upgrades

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th May 2015 14:08
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 21:13 Edited at: 15th May 2015 21:19
Quote: "As we announced earlier this year, for the first time ever, we are offering the full versions of Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro as a free and easy upgrade for qualifying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year after launch.** Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device."

Looks like many of us won't even be paying a thing, let alone a subscription.

Also, I had a look at their trailer for Microsoft Edge in that link, seems like they're trying to reinvent IE, I suppose re-marketed to drop the stigma, heck, may even be a new browser altogether, however, if it performs well and is more web compliant, then I might be tempted. I liked the way IE was actually going, because it was working its way up on my list of responsive and reliable browsers, from being so, so, so low down on my list. It has passed Firefox and Opera and is sitting nicely under Chrome for me.

If this translates and favours more web technologies and is more HTML friendly, then it would be desirable IMO.

I am going to download the preview now, set it up on a Virtual Machine and see how it fares. Will prolly post some comments/opinions here.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 00:12 Edited at: 16th May 2015 00:12
Quote: "I am going to download the preview now, set it up on a Virtual Machine and see how it fares. Will prolly post some comments/opinions here."

Supposedly the new browser is rewritten from the ground up. Imo though it seems like IE I never had a big problem with IE though. As for running Windows 10 in a VM, I've been using it as my main OS since a few days after it came out. I'd recommend running it on bare metal. Running it on a VM has been buggy for people. Try dual booting to start with. At this late point though it's probably not worth it (to upgrade/dual boot) until it's officially released.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 00:58
Seems to work mostly okay in a Virtual Machine, a couple of unresponsive things, so can see what they mean.

I've managed to so far get my Ruby On Rails environment set up, everything in theory works, but unfortunately I cannot seem to access localhost in this Virtual environment. Never had to, so guess I'll have to Google later when I've got more time to play.

I'll prolly get the free upgrade and wait till then. Seems like a nice OS. I think visually better so far. Seems responsive, aside from VM bugs. Powershell was behaving as I was installing stuff for Rails and my project. Although bundler threw up a couple of errors and I had to update RubyGems manually and install a couple of gems manually, but prolly more bundler than Win10.

Edge doesn't seem too bad, my site works almost perfectly on it, so that's a good thing. Haven't actually tested the site in any browsers except Chrome yet. Only thing I have noticed is that one of my CSS rules isn't working as it should be on smaller pages. Perfect in Chrome, but guess I'll be testing in IE and Edge to fix it.

Also, any forms that take integers still require you to type it out, it's a small thing I know, but I love that Chrome lets you click on a box to increase or decrease the value in the box. Might have me rethink my forms on my site for other browsers so people can get that functionality.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 01:31 Edited at: 17th May 2015 01:39
You may have glossed over this bit...

Quote: "And because we have built Windows 10 to be delivered as a service, this milestone is just the beginning of the new generation of Windows"

This is the bit that allows them to give and take away whatever they choose, at whatever price. "Software as a Service" is a model where once you stop paying your subscription, the software gets switched off. You can't "stick with the last version because it works just fine either. You get what is delivered to you, and it could change at any time whether you like it or not.

The biggest challenge is for software developers who can no longer tell you not to upgrade your operating system until they have updated their wares (I am talking about top-end commercial software). There are thousands of business applications out there that force the users to stick with Windows 7 because they don't have the resources to make it Win 8 compatible.

Quote: " I cannot seem to access localhost in this Virtual environment"

Are you using VMWare? You'll need to share IP address with the host machine if you are. I have VMs working fine with localhost.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 02:08
Mmh yeah, well - monthly fee (provided it's in the 10€~range) is great for me - as a student, but then again, as batvink said here; If I don't pay, and my windows gets suspended? That's uhm.. That's a bit scary and makes it more of a nono thing I think.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 02:16
I dunno about you guys but I sure won't be paying any subscription. It'll be a good day for linux if Windows ever charges a subscription fee.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 03:00
Quote: "You can't "stick with the last version because it works just fine either. You get what is delivered to you, and it could change at any time whether you like it or not."
Eugh. If this ever happened...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 03:33
Quote: "This is the bit that allows them to give and take away whatever they choose, at whatever price. "Software as a Service" is a model where once you stop paying your subscription, the software gets switched off. You can't "stick with the last version because it works just fine either. You get what is delivered to you, and it could change at any time whether you like it or not.

The biggest challenge is for software developers who can no longer tell you not to upgrade your operating system until they have updated their wares (I am talking about top-end commercial software). There are thousands of business applications out there that force the users to stick with Windows 7 because they don't have the resources to make it Win 8 compatible."

I think it's one of those "we'll wait and see" moments. If it meant keeping things compatible is difficult, then perhaps it would be a problem for software developers. Or may be mean web application development is opted instead, at least where viable. The OS you have to worry about is the one you use for your server. The other concern being the browser, but then that wouldn't be a change from how it is now. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if it becomes a problem in MS's model for Windows 10 and how the issue'd be addressed.

Quote: "Are you using VMWare? You'll need to share IP address with the host machine if you are. I have VMs working fine with localhost."

Twas how I was set up, never tried running Localhost from a VM before, so assumed I had done everything right in setting my project up on Win10, therefore ruled the VM as the most likely cause, but actually the problem was Project Spartan/Microsoft Edge. I guess it isn't fully functional yet, as soon as I tried it in IE, it wasn't an issue.

But now everything is working. So I am happy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 01:38:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 01:38:26