Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / strange problem transferring a file from one machine to another

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 15th May 2015 14:47
I prepared a simple demo on my desktop, zipped it up and then went to my laptop to transfer it over our network. For some odd reason all the desktop files were visible from the laptop (as usual) but with one exception. I couldn't see the zip file! It's definitely there. Does anyone know why the zip file should be invisible? I tried changing obvious things like unhiding hidden files, system files, etc. It's almost as if the file is stored somewhere else.

Interestingly I have same problem when I view the laptop files from the desktop.

Anyone know what's going on and how I can stop this?

Powered by Free Banners
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 15:13
Check the security settings on the file (Right-Click, Properties, Security tab).

Do you use a Home Group. I don't, because it just confuses things, but if you do then make sure it is visible to the Home Group in Sharing.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th May 2015 16:14
Try uploading to an FTP folder and downloading it that way... Use DropBox, OneDrive etc. or run through the process you used to transfer over the network... as you have not detailed what you actually did...

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 20:34
Quote: "Check the security settings on the file (Right-Click, Properties, Security tab)."

Thanks. That fixed it. It hadn't occurred to me that zipping would use a different set of user permissions from everything else. Weird.

Powered by Free Banners
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 05:54
Only thing that comes to mind is your laptop cached the file list of that network computer. You try refreshing the view?

Is your laptop set to show archived files?

What if you type the full file network path/name in the address bar and see if it detects it.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 18:27
Yes, I did refresh the view as that is something I need to do as a matter of routine on this machine.

The problem is almost certainly the file permissions set on the zipped file (as hinted by BatVink). For some strange reason they differ from the settings of other files. Once I changed those to match the zipped files I could see the zip file on other machines.

Powered by Free Banners
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 23:43
What systems?

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 02:21
W7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

Powered by Free Banners
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 03:25
what permissions did it default to? I've only had to deal with file permissions with web servers, never across my home computers.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 21:48
Quote: "what permissions did it default to?"

On my laptop it defaults to:

SYSTEM
the current Laptop user (i.e. me )
ADMINISTRATOR

The desktop is similar with the obvious change.

On each machine none of the Home Group or shared users show up. Almost every other file I create defaults to the full set of allowed users: e.g. DBPro files, fx files, png files, exe files, and so on (i.e. all those I've checked ) .

I don't know whether this is relevant but I always create a zip file by selecting the files, right clicking and choosing Send to Compressed (zip) folder from the right click menu.

Powered by Free Banners
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2015 04:21
I think a fresh install is in order

On Windows 8/10 this is simple...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2015 11:22
I really wouldn't recommend a fresh install to resolve one minor issue.

Do you have Windows Defender switched on (on the other machine)? It could be this or another anti-virus program resetting the security if you have the drive mapped on another computer.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2015 12:57
Quote: "I think a fresh install is in order"

The zip file problem, i.e. the security settings set up when the file is created, occurs on both machines and the desktop is a fresh install so I don't see how that would help.

Quote: "Do you have Windows Defender switched on (on the other machine)? It could be this or another anti-virus program resetting the security if you have the drive mapped on another computer."

Why would that affect only zip files? The problem, as noted yesterday, arises when the zip file is created. It only came to light when I tried to copy the file to the other machine. Why would Windows treat zip files differently when they are created?

I've just checked several old zip files and none of them have this security/permissions issue. It seems to be a recent issue affecting both machines. Is there a Windows setting somewhere which enables you to choose the security setting for zip files?

Incidentally, when I create a zip file using the select/right click/send to sequence the new zip file entry in explorer has a small padlock symbol showing on it. That symbol disappears when I change the settings to my standard security settings. That's a recent occurrence.