Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A Game similar to pac man

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all together,
i hope that someone want´s to help. I want create a game similar to pac man. For the movement everything is clear but for the stops at the walls i am unsure.
At the moment i use the sprite collision and i set at some positions flags, it works but it´s very complicated.

Maybe, is there a better way? I have thought to use fields and than move or move not, what do you think?

I would be very happy, if someone want´s to help.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 22:39 Edited at: 15th May 2015 22:39
For games like this, you use a simple text map of the maze. Use * for walls, and if you enter a square with an * you have collided.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
sprcoll
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you,
the map as text with stars would not be a problem, but i don´t understand the collision and what do you mean with the square?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 01:00
The logic behind the game is that you move from square to square. Take a look at the original Pacman; you can't move just one or two pixels, you always move a full grid square.

Therefore, you can base you collision on a quick lookup to see whether the next grid square is free, or a wall.

You can also add your powerups as different text symbols on the map.

Take a look at Manic Miner in AppGameKit Showcase. Muckypaws uses exactly the same logic.

TutCity is being rebuilt
x3meblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 01:05 Edited at: 16th May 2015 01:06
The 'square' is your level map, you simply create it with a text-editor, then you read the text file in an array. This only works if your movement is tile based. So, for example if pacman walks 1 tile up, then you check your array, if there is a star at this position. If so, pacman collided and you prevent him from going up. (You store pacmans position in a 2d array, like [5,2], now his position would be on tile 6 horizontally and tile 3 vertically).

AGK2 Tier 1 / GameGuru / DB PRO / ProMotion 6.5
sprcoll
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks for your replies. This method seems to be a little bit complicated, so i have to learn some more things. I have only a basic knowledge about arrays and loops. I think my method isn´t so bad, but sometimes i have a prolblem with the position if collision, the position varied about 1 pixel, and that depends on the player start position, i don´t know why.

I hope i can ask in a few days again.
Journey
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 02:59
¿Is it possible to use the AppGameKit placement editor to make the pacman mesh?.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 10:25
I would check this suggestion made earlier...

Quote: "Take a look at Manic Miner in AppGameKit Showcase. Muckypaws uses exactly the same logic."

TutCity is being rebuilt
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 10:37
As Batvink and x3meblue have suggested above is exactly how I wrote my Pacman-type game. The concept is little tricky to understand at first but I have also found it to be the best way to go.

I love my Altair 8800 Replica.

http://altairclone.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:14:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:14:33