Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / tiles or sprites..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
If I want to use the same tile to build a maze, do i look at using Sprites or something else? I notice that Sprites are 'individuals'.

Thanks.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2015 18:12
There is no such thing as a 'tile' in AppGameKit but you can add multiple sprites using the same image. I'm not sure if that answers your question though?

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2015 18:13
You would generally use sprites. Hundreds of sprites can use the same image, so it is a very efficient way to populate the screen.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2015 18:25 Edited at: 22nd May 2015 18:26
A slightly more advanced method is to scale the UV's of a sprite to make it appear to be tiled.
For example: A long platform may appear to be made of 10 identical sprites but is in fact a single sprite with the image on it scaled to 10% and repeated.

I would imagine that is more efficient than multiple sprites but I\'ve never given it a thorough shake down.

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK, from my experience, is very efficient in dealing with thousands of sprites on and off screen. I call them tiles internally for clarity but they are sprites. Clone away! If your maze is larger than will fit on the screen then just build it up and use screen offset to rove around it. AppGameKit will do a grand job of ignoring the ones offscreen therefore keeping the draw rate super fast.

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:00:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:00:16