Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / GOG rejected my game :(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 04:50
I'm a bit disappointed since GOG seemed like the best place to sell a point and click adventure. Now I just can't seem to summon the will to finish the project either. I'm wondering if they just have a lot going on with the witcher 3 atm.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 10:04
Steam Greenlight? Seems like they greenlight a lot of stuff at the moment.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 26th May 2015 10:06 Edited at: 26th May 2015 10:07
Doesn't steam require their DLL linked into the games though?, I recall it being optional at one time...

Can anybody clarify that?

EDIT

wattywatts, that actually looks like a fun little game...

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 20:03
Did they say why it was rejected?

I will say though, the environment needs more detail. Right now, rooms look just too empty.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2015 01:08
Quote: " Doesn't steam require their DLL linked into the games though?, I recall it being optional at one time..."

Steamworks is a separate component used for achievements and cloud sync. It is not required for Steam games to integrate Steamworks into their game.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2015 04:34
it does look interesting, but that video shows almost no game play, just the character walking around. you might have more luck if you show some interaction with the environment, with other characters, puzzles, dialogue, ui those sorts of things. right now there just isn't enough visible substance, that's not to say that you don't have it, just that the video doesn't show it.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2015 05:11
There's some good points made here. The response I got was that it looked really cool (they seem like nice people even if they didn't want to sell it) but that it looks too niche and small in scale.
Maybe I jumped the gun submitting it before I was ready, although it is pretty small in scale.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2015 10:02
Small is OK. I would buy a game even if I can beat it within a few hours. However, it needs to be really good.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2015 15:34 Edited at: 27th May 2015 15:35
I think it needs some claustrophobia - there isn't a great deal of 'furniture', I think that you need more, but also I think it would make it more tense if you have to go through dark corridors etc, rather than big open rooms. Don't think for a second that you can't re-use stuff, I mean flip it around, change textures, scale - if you don't have a lot of geometry to furnish your game, then your gonna have to re-use it as much as you can bare. Like, there's a room with a pipe valve thing at the far end of a large and mostly empty room - I'd change that to a row of 4 pipe valves at each side, fill the room with them, because that's more like an industrial environment... really it's rare to see just 1 or 2 things - if a complex needs 1 or 2 pipe valve things, it probably needs 8. If you make a barrel to stick in a room, stick another 10 in there to be on the safe side. Our world consists of totally un-unique shapes that are repeated over and over and over - in my office at work I have 2 identical cupboards, 4 identical filing cabinets, 2 identical PC's with identical screens and keyboards. I think you should make a shedload of industrial pipes and fittings and sci-fi bits, and re-use them all over the place. It's not about making the game fuller to appease GOG admins, the game is crying out for more detail I think and with that the lighting and mood will be so much more effective.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:19:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:19:05