Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Universal FPSC Game Packer for all Windows versions needed -recommendations?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 04:25
I am looking for a packer that will work on Windows XP thru to Windows 10. Phoenix Sentry's site seems to be down. Game Starter may be an option, but will have to do some testing on this. Vishnu Packer seems to be an option, but I am not sure if it is still available. I saw somewhere that V-Packer has issues with Windows 8.

Any suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 06:31
Vishnu Packer is available in a post in this board. If you want to make an installation package, InstallForge or Click Team Setup Creator.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 06:55
There is Inno Setup, which is really good and easy to use. Been using it for many years.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Tectonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 07:54 Edited at: 16th Jun 2015 23:08
@Mriganka

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=207428&b=21
and
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=159861&b=21
threads the author: s4real indicates that this is no longer available in the opening post.

@BlackFox

Thank you for your suggestion, this looks to be very promising. That\'s why I like these forums. Upon looking at Inno Setup, is it just an installer or does it also pack and hide the game media? Update: found the encryption module - looks very good.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 11:34
Take a look at forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=211226&b=21

mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
@Tectonic
As far I am aware we didn't hear about issues with our products and Windows 8.

Smart Packer Pro - Distribute games and applications
V-Packer for Games - Compress your game files into one executable
Flash Packer - Pack your Flash movies
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 17:58
@ BlackFox "Inno Setup" looks pretty good. I'm going to give it a try. You always have good little tricks up your sleve
How do you find this stuff? Thanks for the link
best

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Tectonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 23:06
@Mriganka

Thanks for the link, downloaded it and I will give this a try out.

@mrniceguy

please see: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=207402&b=21

Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 21:27 "V-packer does not work very well in windows 8 and I think mrniceguy is working on this problem."

If all is well with Windows 8, that confirmation would be welcomed.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 23:47
Quote: "Thank you for your suggestion, this looks to be very promising. That\'s why I like these forums. Upon looking at Inno Setup, is it just an installer or does it also pack and hide the game media? Update: found the encryption module - looks very good."

I was just going to mention that However, any game I create we already encrypt. Inno is just the setup installer for the game, whereas we use a VB interface for the game which will decrypt/encrypt game data when called. All depends how deep you want to go. We also use Setup Factory for some developments. All depends what the client wants for the end package.

Quote: ""Inno Setup" looks pretty good. I'm going to give it a try. You always have good little tricks up your sleve
How do you find this stuff? Thanks for the link"

Been doing this for years and when you find good software, you use it continually. Nothing personal against mrniceguy and Smart Packer Pro (formally V-Packer), I never thought about switching and trying his app out. I have my Inno Setup customized for our usage already including scripts and such to do what is required during install, and the same for Setup Factory.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
@Tectonic
Currently we are working on the new version of Smart Packer Pro (X) but after the release of both products we will take a look at FPSC V-Packer. Will run some tests under Windows 8.x.

Smart Packer Pro - Distribute games and applications
V-Packer for Games - Compress your game files into one executable
Flash Packer - Pack your Flash movies
Tectonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2015 05:32
@mrniceguy
Thanks for the update.

@BlackFox
I noticed that you were mentioned in the credits for Vishnu Packer.

I have decided to give Vishnu Packer the thumbs up for now:

Pros -

Easy to use and supports adjustments to the game's graphics level (although I have not tested this as yet). There is also support for x-box controller on the PC another plus. It's free.

Cons -

No support, and not sure if it will work on Windows 10, I suspect that it would.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:18:16
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:18:16