Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / About level editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys, I am a totally newbie into programming and I bought AGK2 because it seems easy to code compare with other languages. The placement editor is only available for windows and I can't find it in AppGameKit mac version. How do I create a tile map or do I need to create a level editor by myself?
Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 06:34
Hi.

for create tiled map, you can use http://www.mapeditor.org/
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 08:46
Hi,

If you are going to use 'Tiled', the map-creator Behdadsoft suggests, you are going to need some code to read the .tmx-files the program creates. Several users have posted working examples. You can find them in the various posts in this thread.
Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 09:19
Hi and welcome to the world of AppGameKit!

Tiled is good and there is as zerotown says code to read the .tmx files, if you use a level editor that has its own file format you will still need to code to read the files they produce.

The bonus if you create your own level editor is that it will be suited to your needs.

Still in development we also have the scene builder by Baxslash which is looking amazing.

[href]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=214297&b=48
[/href]

Scotty
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Agree on making your own. If you do make your own...plan, plan and plan again before you start coding. I made a map editor but if I were to start again it would be much more flexible! Still, it does do what I need it to do for my game.

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 13:47
A new version of my editor is nearly ready (currently unusable) but it is very limited at the moment. I would suggest as David has to plan your game, then decide how to build your levels, then decide what level editor to use.

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
gsdblack
Years of Service
User Offline
Baxslash is this the editor you decided to make instead of using overlap2d?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 03:41
If you have the dedication and the motivation, definitely code your own editor! Knowing exactly how it works and coding it precisely for your needs will give you great flexibility for your game!

I personally love making level editors, I used to make so many back in my DBP days. Each time I did a new one I learned some new tricks and it got easier and easier to code over time. I've never attempted a 2D tile map editor but I imagine it's dead easy once you learn all of the basics since you don't have to worry about as many complicated things (extra coordinate systems, complex collision shapes, etc.,.).

Official Forum President from June 20th, 2015 - June 20th, 2016 (when my successor is elected, whomever that may be!).
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 14:24 Edited at: 7th Jul 2015 14:25
You might find these articles from the TGC newsletter helpful:

Part 1: http://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_98.html#4

Part 2: http://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_99.html#6

Part 3: http://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_101.html#9

The code is in DBPro but it should be easy enough to translate it into AppGameKit but it also talks about level editors in a general way, i.e how complicated to make it and what it needs to do.

As a short term solution you can manually write the level information into an external text document that the game can then read. I tend to do this as I don't like making level editors but it's not ideal for large, complex levels.

Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 15:02
Quote: "Baxslash is this the editor you decided to make instead of using overlap2d?"

Yes, correct.

I have made level editors so many times I'm getting sick of it now. By the time I have the editor working nicely I'm sick of the game idea. I'm hoping that one of two things will happen by finishing this one:
1-I create an editor that is so useful I actually finish a game for once in my life or...
2-I enjoy making the editor so much I just stick to making tools!

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:16:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:16:42