Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Database access and HTML5 deployment?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Let me start by saying that my first impression of AGK2 was 'YES!!!'. The language style of basic, the IDE etc is exactly what I'm looking for. I've worked with Blitz Basic and other BASIC's in the past as well as other languages, but I adore BASIC and hate other languages... simple as that. I'm probably just a bad programmer but .... I'm happy with that :p

I could definitely enjoy putting together some 2d games with this, for fun. However, I have a long-term project that I NEED to do, since it's my income.

I run an email-based Soccer-management game. For a very long time (about a decade), it's needed an upgrade to an online game. I really need to get on with this and I've tried it in Blitz Basic (failed because I made it over-complicated plus it ran as a desktop app, which isn't suitable) and PHP (only half completed because I find the language so painful that I doubt I can complete it... seriously, it takes me a day to get one tiny function completed).

Apologies for the rambling, but my questions are :..

1) Can AGK2 access an online database? I'll need to fetch and send data. I'm happy to do that part via PHP scripts.

2) Can I deploy to web browsers? I need my game to run from a browser.

If either of these things are in development I'd be happy to wait. I could make some simple games in the meantime to get to grips with the language. I don't even mind if I have to wait a few years. Are they even in the pipeline?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2015 19:37 Edited at: 16th Jul 2015 19:37
Welcome

Quote: "Can AGK2 access an online database? I'll need to fetch and send data. I'm happy to do that part via PHP scripts."

Yes. You can create a HTTP connection and send your request via a URL (e.g http://mysite.com/getdata?team=ManUtd&Rank=Poor)
You can receive a HTTP Response from your PHP script on your server. The PHP will do the querying of the database. I use this technique for online scores. I send back simple text, it is more than good enough for my needs.

Quote: "Can I deploy to web browsers? I need my game to run from a browser."

There was a point in V1 where HTML5 output was supported via a site called freedom-engine.com. It has been shelved for now, but maybe it will return.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Farflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol, I saw that sneaky 'Man Utd' bit. Couldn't agree more

The HTTP bit is ample for my needs. My main issue for my game is whether or not to run the logic in PHP (which I don't want to do because I hate it so much) or perhaps in a separate AppGameKit app. Theoretically, I could download the entire database, run all the logic in some sort of control panel written in AppGameKit (for example, have it run a single turn), then send the database back. Not sure if that's wise but it would mean I could program my game in BASIC.. oh joy!!

I do require the clients to run in browsers though. It doesn't need to be HTML5, just a browser. Is that possible, or in the works?

I have to say again, my little eyes lit up when I started a sample game and saw the opening template. It's exactly how I like to program!

By the way, I got this in the Humble Bundle. I assume I don't have the entire package?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2015 23:12
Quote: "I assume I don't have the entire package?"

You have the entire package - Version 2.0.13 for the standalone and 2.0.14 for the Steam version. I don't know if you can link the standalone to your TGC forum account and get updates or not.

As you can see some of us have been here for over a decade! TGC are always good to the customer base, providing regular updates to what is already a very affordable product. You may not get the absolute cutting edge, but you should be pleasantly surprised if you stick around.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Farflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Any idea where I can read up on the HTML stuff? And possible browser deployment?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2015 03:08
Quote: "And possible browser deployment? "

The AppGameKit apps are not deployable via browsers.

They are standalone apps on the device (iOS or Android, etc).

Quote: "Any idea where I can read up on the HTML stuff?"

If you need to interact with a dabase, you must program your server with some sort of language. Straight HTML cannot do database access processes.

PHP is commonly available on most servers (along with MySQL as the database).

If you have a Windows based server, you might have access to SQL Server databases and the possibility of using ASP files (if the server is using Microsft IIS for the web server, not common on most hosting sites). But I wouldn't recommend that combination. The programming for database access is not anywhere near as simple as with PHP.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 05:37:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 05:37:13