Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / New bill for copyright law will change everything

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 19:32 Edited at: 20th Jul 2015 19:43
Basically: If this passes, all art you create will no longer be protected by you from the moment you create it. You will have to register everything you've ever done and register everything you'll ever do.

No doubt registering will cost money, too.

I find the stupidity of politicians to be unbelievable these days. We've got David Cameron trying to ban encryption, a whole lobby of other crap related to SJWs/feminism/etc I don't even want to get into and now this.

What the hell is going on on this planet?

wet fuel can't smelt steel memes
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 21:37
I haven't watched the video, so my opinion isn't based off of much, but I am not too worried. With how inefficient congress has been lately, I would be surprised if this thing go through congress too fast, if at all. But the thing here in the US is, even if your work is indeed technically copyrighted, it's not practically protected if it hasn't been registered. If you really want copyright protection, in most cases, it's best to just register anyway. I could be wrong there, but that's just my understanding.

As for trying to ban encryption, that's insane.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 23:45
I am, ASSUMING it's an american "bill"?
Because copyright laws are separate in a country per country standard.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2015 00:09 Edited at: 21st Jul 2015 00:11
It is an American bill. I want to point out one thing: the video states that the US Constitution guarantees individuals the right to intellectual property as provided by the government, which is false. According to the constitution:

Quote: "1.8.1 The Congress shall have Power... 1.8.8 To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries; "

So Congress has the power to promote said development, but by no means has to (of course, with exception to laws passed thereafter). Should they, in my opinion, do so for all individuals, even those not registering their work? Yes.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2015 00:22
Politicians have to do something, why not spend inordinate amounts of time trying to change something that works.

It's not like civilised Western countries need to spend time solving the problem of homelessness, poverty, homegrown extremists and idiots with guns that don't realise more people get shot with their own gun than an intruder's weapon.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 21st Jul 2015 01:56
Quote: "David Cameron trying to ban encryption "

He's not trying to "ban" encryption, he wants the encryption used to be decipherable by government (which is still quite stupid).

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2015 02:10
Quote: "He's not trying to "ban" encryption, he wants the encryption used to be decipherable by government (which is still quite stupid)."

Banning encryption and forcing it to have backdoors is pretty much the same thing.

As for the copyright thing, without watching the video, it sounds horrible. And while what quick says is true, it probably won't matter that much, if I make something and someone in the US clones it, the swedish copyright laws won't protect my work.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 21st Jul 2015 21:13
Quote: "It's not like civilised Western countries need to spend time solving the problem of homelessness, poverty, homegrown extremists and idiots with guns that don't realise more people get shot with their own gun than an intruder's weapon."