Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Question to a Moderator...Thread revival, or a new thread?

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 24th Jul 2015 19:12
Hello,

Some of you may remember THIS thread, right?
It's been locked after several months of inactivity (partly my fault ), but the project is still being worked on.

I would like to revive the thread, but the thing is...there has been lots of things going on regarding the project and the members involved in this project.

To begin with...i'm working solo now on the project.

After all this time, Roland decided to quit the team for personnal reasons (not enough free time, age, health) and to spend his time doing 'his own thing' and work on his own projects and mess around with game engines.

Now, i will admit that this news came rather hard on me...and wasn't very good for my health either, but eventually i decided that i don't really care anymore about him leaving the team. After all...it's his decission, his loss, not mine. I have always promised to myself that i WILL finish this game, even on my own if need be. And, that's what i WILL do! And, even if i don't succeed, i will sure try as hard as i can.

For the record...i still see Roland as a good friend, and he was a great member to work with, but i guess it wasn't meant to be after all.

Another thing to note: 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia' will return to the roots, as it was in this vid:

This means: a puzzle/adventure game with action and magic. We had a great thing going in that particular version, and that's what SCOT is going to be back again, and stay that way.

I'm sure lots of you will think 'yet another change ', right? Yes, i agree...SCOT has been changed too much during the development. I guess one of the reasons why things didn't work out the way we planned, but we're both to blame for that. And, in the long run, we learned a great deal from it.

Anyhow, enough of that. The main reason for this thread is to know (or ask a Moderator) what would be best? Revive the (old) thread, or make a new thread for 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia' instead?

Personnaly, i would like a new thread, because of all the changes that have been happening around the project. The new thread could be a fresh start and the information would be more up to date to what is currently going on.

Furthermore, the old thread already has too much information about changes we did to the project, and i just feel that if the old thread is re-opened, that things would only get more confusing because of the fact that i want to get back to the roots of how SCOT intitially was.

So, what do you Moderators say? Am i allowed to open a new thread for my game project?

Thanks for reading!

Quote: "Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2015 20:30
my two cents, open a new thread and good decision on going back to that initial concept I liked it better

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2015 21:47
Quote: "my two cents, open a new thread and good decision on going back to that initial concept I liked it better"

That's exactly my thought, Ortu!
And thanks, for the kind words. True, that concept was the best we had.

I'm actually getting pretty close to how it was then, in terms of atmosphere, i mean. Still a long way to go, because the project files of that version were lost (new PC and all that), but it's getting there.

The main character has also been remodeled, and she looks awesome, if i say so myself.

The game is being done in Unity (again, yes), and not in Unreal engine. Unreal is awesome, no doubt about that, but for this project, Unity is better suited, as far as i'm concerned.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 02:17
Hmm...it seems there aren't much mods responding today. Perhaps i should just create a new thread then ?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 03:05
I think creating a new thread is the way to go for you. It sounds like you're quite a bit further along, and a new thread will clean things up a bit for you.

-Keith
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 03:55
Yeah, that's what i thought would be best too. But now it seems Thraxas already re-opened the old thread.

Not that i'm mad at him for doing that, but i would have prefered a new thread instead.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 10:23
It would be better to stick with the old thread; alot of people may still be following it, and it will score well in google searches.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 14:29
Quote: "It would be better to stick with the old thread; alot of people may still be following it, and it will score well in google searches."

Good thinking. I guess i'll just need to do some cleaning up work on the old thread and make it up to date, eh?

The only thing that remains to be done by a mod, is change the old thread title to 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia', on IndieDB - developed in Unity 5'. That would make me very happy.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 17:07
All you have to do, is create the new one, and link to it in the old one.

-Keith
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jul 2015 04:55
Quote: "All you have to do, is create the new one, and link to it in the old one."

I +infinity this!

Official Forum President from June 20th, 2015 - June 20th, 2016 (when my successor is elected, whomever that may be!).
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 03:49
Quote: "All you have to do, is create the new one, and link to it in the old one. "

Quote: "Quote: "All you have to do, is create the new one, and link to it in the old one."

I +infinity this!"

Not sure yet what i'll do...but, i will soon update the information on the project. Either by creating a new thread, or by updating all the information on the old one.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 12:52
Yes, start a new thread with a link to the old one. But also link to the new one in your old thread so anyone going there out of habit will know where to go now. Then ask a Mod to lock the old one. Simples.