Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Windows 10 - The only malware you'll ever need

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 14:30 Edited at: 30th Jul 2015 14:31

Just relaying this collection of information I found on Windows 10.

> Microsoft owns Pando Networks, famous for the malware/botnet Pando Media Booster.
> Windows Update in Windows 10 utilizes P2P by default, most likely the same P2P technology used by Pando Media Booster.
> Essentially it turns your PC into a zombie host server, wasting your bandwidth and serving updates to other computers.
> This also means Windows Update might be utilized later to spread malware through the P2P system via 0days.
https://archive.is/Tqv7s
https://archive.is/s3BjC
https://archive.is/Yy9JB

> You cannot turn off "Telemetry" unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.
> This means your computer will continuously leak unspecified information to Microsoft and there's no way of turning this off.
https://archive.is/3yo92 (direct)

> You cannot turn off "Real-time Protection", aka Windows Defender. Even if you do it will turn itself on again after a while.
> This means you cannot prevent your PC from sending random files and information to Microsoft for "analysis".
https://archive.is/Dln44 (direct)

> Cortana has zero local storage functionality and does not function unless you have a Microsoft Account connected.
> It will even inform you about this if you try using it on a local account and then shut itself down.
https://archive.is/2Vw55

> Windows 10 start menu will have "Content suggestions" which are on by default, which means you'll be seeing ads.
https://archive.is/0ltgw (direct)

> Windows 10 "Wifi Sense" will be begging for your Facebook account details so it can get to know you better.
> It will also be sharing your Wifi password with all of your Facebook/Skype/Outlook friends, their friends, as well as with Microsoft.
https://archive.is/9HETF (direct)
https://archive.is/mO3aH

wet fuel can't smelt steel memes

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 17:11
Mmm...

I thought Pando was an ISP based P2P network? So it delivers high-volume traffic to ISPs, not to end users.

Quote: "You cannot turn off "Telemetry" unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise Edition."

I am not saying what is right and what is wrong, but it depends which sites you read...

Quote: "...We live in a world where sensationalism and conspiracy thread through our lives, and we welcome it. And, if it sounds even the least bit plausible, or fits any morsel of personal belief, it's true...

There are those sites (I'm not even going to name them) that have taken the conspiracy angle for a useful and valuable feedback system and are attempting use it to scare the public and make them question Microsoft's motives...

Windows 10 will not cause uncontrollable and explosive bowel movements, and it will definitely not tell Microsoft about that questionable web site you "accidentally" visited. ...

When a finished Windows 10 finally releases publicly next year, the real-time telemetry will be removed. It's not a permanent part of the operating system....

"

Cortana...working like Siri and Android, they only operate by sending your voice data back to the mothership too. Android openly state that they use this to refine the product, which is a good thing. If you keep repeating the same thing and getting the wrong results it learns from it.

Quote: "Windows 10 start menu will have "Content suggestions" which are on by default, which means you'll be seeing ads."

That's not good and it bugs me that you have to make the effort to switch it off. My parents wouldn't know where to start and they are probably representative of at least 50% of users. From M$ point of view, nobody would opt to turn it on if the default was switched around.

Wifi Sense - A shocking display of bad judgement! And you aren't even modestly in control of who is being let into your network through the back door.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 17:25
I already decided not to upgrade anyway, looks like I made the right choice.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 20:19
I'm staying away from it.

-Keith
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 20:28
Thanks for letting us know. I was rather excited but.. Idno now

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 21:10
Sounds like I'd better avoid it when the time comes. Looks like another way of hogging resources if nothing else.

Powered by Free Banners
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 21:28
Perhaps they are making the upgrade free because they know that it's something nobody would pay to do, given the new features?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 22:59
I KNEW it would be too good to be true.

Looks like I'll be steering clear until they can correct those policies. But I won't hold my breath.

I'm not sure, but I think Apple did some similar stuff a few years ago with one of the OS updates, where it enabled automatic feedback of "system information" for diagnostic purposes. They never did anything like WiFi Sense though - that's just plain crazy!

PLus since I'm on limited bandwidth (250GB/month), this just seems insane. Maybe I will finally ditch Windows altogether and make Linux my main OS. I could keep Windows 7 on one hard drive, along with all my games, and then install Linux on the other, boot whichever one I need for that time being. Seems plausible!

Forum President until June 20th, 2016. Bow down to me!
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 23:00
Quote: "We live in a world where sensationalism and conspiracy thread through our lives, and we welcome it. And, if it sounds even the least bit plausible, or fits any morsel of personal belief, it's true"

This is so true in just about any context. Where does that quote originate?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 23:23
I was in no hurry to upgrade from Win2000Pro, or XP, and am in no hurry to upgrade from Win7Ult - I don't like Win8, and 8.1 IMHO is just a load of lipstick on a pig.

When I do absolutely have to upgrade to 10, it'll be at least a year after launch, when all the horribleness has been forcably removed and the issues ironed out, and then it'll be the top tier version or nothing. Screw M$ and their money grubbing, arrogant, obtuse ways.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 04:16 Edited at: 31st Jul 2015 04:20
Quote: " Essentially it turns your PC into a zombie host server, wasting your bandwidth and serving updates to other computers.
> This also means Windows Update might be utilized later to spread malware through the P2P system via 0days."

Thanks for pointing this out. I took a look around in the settings and was able to easily turn the option off. I ended up allowing a P2P download for "PCs on my local network" rather than the default "PCs on my local network, and PCs on the internet." I could have completely turned it off, but I think its sort of handy allowing computers on my private network to "share" Windows updates with my computer for faster downloading.

The setting can be found in "Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Scroll down and click on "Advanced options" > Click on "Choose how update are delivered."

Quote: "> You cannot turn off "Telemetry" unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.
> This means your computer will continuously leak unspecified information to Microsoft and there's no way of turning this off."

According to this article Telemetry can be turned off through the registry:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

Quote: "You cannot turn off "Real-time Protection", aka Windows Defender. Even if you do it will turn itself on again after a while."

It would seem that Windows Defender is actually disabled automatically if you have another anti-virus software installed. I have AVG on my computer, and Windows Defender is disabled. I get a pop-up message when trying to access the Windows Defender settings that says "This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer."

There are still some ways to permanently disable Windows Defender even if you don't have any anti-virus software: http://winaero.com/blog/disable-or-enable-windows-defender-in-windows-10/

Quote: "> Cortana has zero local storage functionality and does not function unless you have a Microsoft Account connected.
> It will even inform you about this if you try using it on a local account and then shut itself down."

This I do find quite annoying. I would like to use Cortana and have it linked to my phone for things like reminders, emails, etc. However, I don't want my entire computer connected to my Microsoft account simply because there are certain features I don't care to have connected. For example, I don't want every picture on my computer uploaded to One Drive. For an average PC user this would be a nice feature, but as a programmer I have tons of random images, diagrams, sprites, etc that don't need to be uploaded.

I had to disable Cortana for this reason (at least for now). I was a bit confused when it tried connecting my computer to my Microsoft account mostly because none of the other apps do this. The Windows 8 apps were notorious for doing this, so I always avoided using them. However, most of the Windows 10 apps allow you to log into your Microsoft account without connecting the entire computer. So I find it odd that Cortana is the only app that forces the entire computer-account connection. I am hoping they will change this so I can make use of Cortana.

Quote: "Windows 10 start menu will have "Content suggestions" which are on by default, which means you'll be seeing ads."

Thanks for pointing that out, I have disabled it. I am curious as to how "ad-like" these "Content suggestions" are or if they are more of a "Recommended for you" apps list.

Quote: "> Windows 10 "Wifi Sense" will be begging for your Facebook account details so it can get to know you better.
> It will also be sharing your Wifi password with all of your Facebook/Skype/Outlook friends, their friends, as well as with Microsoft."

I disabled this feature during installation. I think this feature would be better if it was simply only your contacts could have access to your wifi network. By allowing "friends of friends" to connect to your network it begins to spiral out of control, eventually tons of wifi connections would essentially become open networks. Furthermore, maybe it could be really simplified so that instead of automatically providing the wifi passwords to your contacts you just manually select a contact to share your wifi password with. That way you could share your wifi with someone that's at your house without having to tell them the password and without your password automatically being given to all your contacts.

Personally, I would recommend Windows 10. Though I would say that right after installing it you should go through the settings thoroughly to turn somethings off and make some tweaks. That being said, I do believe that Windows 10's settings give a good amount of options and flexibility.

It's worth mentioning that you can update to Windows 10 "risk free" as there is a downgrade button (for me it says "Go back to Windows 7"), however you only have month from the time you upgraded to downgrade. I would say install it and give it a try, if you don't like it (I think you will) then use the downgrade button. Downgrade button is located in "Settings > Update & Security > Recovery."

Sean

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 12:16
I'll wait it out for a few months to see if the outcome of its implementations. I only have one PC at the moment which I cannot afford to screw up; otherwise I would test it on another one.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 12:47
@Hockeykid:
Thank you for that detailed post! Nice to see you can at least disable some things if you know what you're doing! Too bad all the pre-built computers will have WiFi Sense enabled. Out of all the things, that's what scares me the most about Windows 10!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 13:05
Quote: "The setting can be found in "Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Scroll down and click on "Advanced options" > Click on "Choose how update are delivered.""

Thank you! That answers my question above...it's not just ISP-based P2P delivery.

Quote: "Personally, I would recommend Windows 10"

Agreed. I have the luxury of multiple machines, so I have upgraded one from Windows 7.

First impression - fast and clean. I am so happy not to have the screen obliterated by that Win8 tile abomination.

I have dealt with some of the security concerns although I'm not overly concerned. I really don't think that out of millions of users that somebody is sat reading through my activities, I'm really not that interesting. I see it as quite an arrogant standpoint, that people think they are far more interesting than millions of other people and their data is being closely scrutinised by non-machines. Although I do object to them making money from my data through marketing, if that was one of the uses.

TutCity is being rebuilt
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 22:48
Hmm, upon further research, I suppose it doesn't sound as bad as originally thought.

Think of it much like Android apps - we KNOW they submit data in the background, we KNOW carriers (at least in the US) look at our information, and we use the damn phones anyway. Microsoft adds a few features that require the sending and receiving of data (which you can disable, it's just a pain ), and suddenly it sounds really bad but it's actually less than what happens with our smart phones.

Although I do want an excuse to install Linux Mint onto my system, but now I have seen some crazy amazing things people can do with Windows 10. It truly is a great piece of work, I just wish they would ditch the automatic updates and WiFi sense

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2015 07:00
Quote: " I have dealt with some of the security concerns although I'm not overly concerned. I really don't think that out of millions of users that somebody is sat reading through my activities, I'm really not that interesting. I see it as quite an arrogant standpoint, that people think they are far more interesting than millions of other people and their data is being closely scrutinised by non-machines. Although I do object to them making money from my data through marketing, if that was one of the uses."

It doesn't have to be scrutinized by non-machines, machines do a fine job of it now-a-days through machine learning. And the reason people are upset about it is the precedent it gives to the government as well as the pure amount of data that's now in one place. With the hacks of the US government's security clearance database, who knows if they can even keep that data secure.

Couple of articles that may/may not articulate it better than me(regarding NSA's PRISM program and overall government surveillance): The Guardian and Gizmodo and Huffington Post.

Until someone figures out how to entirely block Windows 10 from transmitting this data or Microsoft allows us to disable it, I'll stick with 7. I may virtualize it, but at least then I have absolute control over what goes through.

Quote: "Although I do want an excuse to install Linux Mint onto my system, but now I have seen some crazy amazing things people can do with Windows 10. It truly is a great piece of work, I just wish they would ditch the automatic updates and WiFi sense"

If you really do have a spare hard drive, then there's your excuse. Otherwise I'd recommend(depending on your hardware) grabbing VirtualBox or some other VM software and giving it a shot there before installing it for real.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2015 09:25
I'm just upset that Cortana isn't available in Canada yet. I mean come on

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2015 11:18
Quote: "I'm just upset that Cortana isn't available in Canada yet"

It's not that great. It is far less accurate than Google's voice recognition, and takes a lot longer to work out the wrong result

TutCity is being rebuilt
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2015 13:10
Wow... so this is interesting. I think my copy of windows 10 beta upgraded itself to the release version and everything is activated. I no longer have any watermark! Thanks MS!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 02:29
So, the more I look into it, I think we all might just be a tad too paranoid.

The improvements in Windows 10 are HUGE, and honestly, I think they'll probably remove WiFi Sense and disable automatic updates after a few weeks. Telemetry mode may actually be a good thing to keep enabled so that they can improve Windows 10 more and more.

For those who don't know, you can upgrade faster via this article (and yes Microsoft are ok with it, but you have to have a reserved copy).

I'm downloading it now, and will upgrade here soon. I'll let you all know what I think!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 14:33
Quote: " I think they'll probably remove WiFi Sense and disable automatic updates after a few weeks."

Perhaps WiFi sense but I doubt they will ever disable automatic updates. They had to support windows XP for a lot longer than they wanted because people didn't upgrade and the same thing will probably happen with 7. They have already said that windows 10 will be the last windows version and I assume this means that they will make some major changes every few years. In order to avoid people having outdated versions in 10 years, they don't want to disable auto updates.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 16:11
Just updated to Win 10 now. Installation whent flawless.
Haven't digged deep into the new OS yet, but so far...i like it. Time will tell if i will keep on liking it as at this moment, but that's true for any new OS you try out.

For me as a game developer, using plenty of Windows based programs, i would find it hard to switch to another OS, because of the lack of supported programs the other OS have.

I'm sure there are pros and cons to the new system, and i doubt we should be so worried about what has been discussed in previous posts in this thread. If they wanna keep an eye on us, they would undoubtedly do that, without our permission. The internet isn't a safe place, no matter what protection you have. There's always a way to get information on someone (especially if that person is on the internet).

Just my two cents.

Quote: "Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 18:35
It does run pretty well. I actually love the new Start Menu, with how customizable it is!

They still need to work on a few things but overall? I like it so far.

However, I finally found out why I couldn't install Linux Mint and have corrected the problem, so I will still install that to my secondary hard drive tonight.

I'll use Windows for gaming, Linux for main use + programming.

Achievement Unlocked: Yoda Got his Linux Goin' On

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 20:48
I was looking at an article about Windows 10 updates, and came across this screenshot:

Quote: "Updates won't download over a metered connection"
That's good. Now, perhaps there is some way of tricking Windows into thinking it's on a metered connection when it's not; that would prevent it from ever updating, theoretically.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 21:17
Quote: " I was looking at an article about Windows 10 updates, and came across this screenshot:"

Which version is that? Home edition handles this differently from Professional.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 21:37
Not sure which version. I would most definitely hope Home Edition, since automatically downloading updates people don't need over paid, metered connections is unacceptable in every way.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 22:27 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2015 22:31
That's exactly what I think aswell DJD but last I heard, the updates can't be delayed or disabled in the home version. On pro, you were going to be able to delay it for a certain amount of months.

That is the main thing that turns me off from windows 10. At any point, microsoft can decide that they want to rework their UI similarly to what they did with windows 8, and there would be no way to skip that version like what a lot of people did with windows 7. They could also suddenly change the EULA similarly to what they just did, and you wouldn't be able to opt out of those changes.

They probably won't do the later but I wouldn't be suprised if they did something similar to win 8 some time in the future.

The point about it downloading updates on a throtteled connection is also a major point. I have had windows updates use quite a bit of CPU while they are being checked for and downloaded, this would be the same thing only it might cost someone oney or deny network acess for a month

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I wouldn't be suprised if they did something similar to win 8 some time in the future."

They already have a Windows 8 like interface in Windows 10. However, it's only activated if you have a touchscreen (you can turn this option off). And I think I heard that if you plug a mouse and keyboard into the touchscreen device it detects them and turns off the "tablet mode" interface.

Sean

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 06:49
I have a fun story about the troubles of automatic updates. A year or so ago, I was helping run the timing system at a school track meet. We have two laptops for that; one records video footage of racers crossing the finish line, and the other laptop is used to review said footage frame by frame in order to determine each racer's time. The video recording laptop, thus, was crucial to the track meet running. A new race was getting ready to start, and the other guy I was running the system with and I were getting the second laptop ready to do something or another. We weren't looking, and failed to notice the little yellow popup reminding us of an automatic update on the recording laptop. So sure enough, right before the race starts, the laptop begins to shut down and install dozens of updates (the laptop hadn't been powered on since the previous year's meet). Ultimately, we had to pause the entire track meet (several schools, a few hundred people) for about 30 minutes while we waited for that computer to finish updating.

And to think, with Windows 10, that will happen even if you do notice that it's about to update. Pffft!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 13:03
Quote: "They already have a Windows 8 like interface in Windows 10. However, it's only activated if you have a touchscreen (you can turn this option off). And I think I heard that if you plug a mouse and keyboard into the touchscreen device it detects them and turns off the "tablet mode" interface.
"

What I meant was that they would do something similar to what they did with windows 8. A major update that changes the interface to something a lot of people don't like.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 14:27
Quote: "Think of it much like Android apps - we KNOW they submit data in the background, we KNOW carriers (at least in the US) look at our information, and we use the damn phones anyway."

I have to disagree with this logic.

Just because something else is terrible doesn't mean Windows 10 is justified to do the same thing.

wet fuel can't smelt steel memes
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 14:49
I'm not very concerned about the privacy issue. I'm far more concerned about loss of performance at critical moments like this:

Quote: "So sure enough, right before the race starts, the laptop begins to shut down and install dozens of updates (the laptop hadn't been powered on since the previous year's meet). Ultimately, we had to pause the entire track meet (several schools, a few hundred people) for about 30 minutes while we waited for that computer to finish updating."

I've experienced the same thing in a meeting. Very annoying - especially if there's no way to turn it off. And what about Windows computers being used to control equipment? Sounds like a recipe for disaster and lots of law suits to me. Why the hell does MS think it has the right to control what user computers are doing?