Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Placement Editor for linux

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone.
I purchased agk for linux via humble bundle, because it was only available game-maker programm, supporting linux.
While using google to get information how it works, I've found that there is a "Placement Editor" for Windows.
Does it work on linux? Unfortunately I cannot find it. If it doesn't exist for linux, does it works via wine? Do I need to download windows version and get it from there?

Seriously I expected more from this application, but it's too late to go back, so I have to adapt it to my self and create few games.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 14:38 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2015 14:41
Welcome

The Placement Editor was built before Linux support, which is why it's not there. But it is built in AppGameKit and the supporting code is AppGameKit, so perhaps they might recompile for Linux. I'll drop them a mail and see if it is possible...but don't hold your breath!

Quote: "Seriously I expected more from this application"

You are paying a very small price for what you get. People keep throwing the "Unity is free" card in the ring, but it's only free if you don't value your time. You'll produce casual (and more complex) games in AppGameKit 10 times faster than Unity. In fact, most Unity users fall by the wayside and produce nothing. AppGameKit is a much easier development platform.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
ryukusu
Years of Service
User Offline
BatVink,
thank you for clarification.
Actually I found solution for my problems - it is not related with agk - it is some QT-bug in xubuntu. Because of it when I hold a button, object/sprite movement stops after some time. If someone reports it, please remember to mention, that it is a bug and workaround for this is to disable repeating settings for key or tell me about it. I will solve it someday.

Regarding AppGameKit itself - the main feature is crossplatform and android included. I don't need to learn some code to port to windows for example. But I only have text editor - that is not something expectable. But now it is OK for me.

Unity is not available natively for linux so I don't consider using later.

Moreover I saw some example showing that I can use high resolution with small sprites and then get huge scene.

So everything is OK now.

Regarding original topic purpose in the "Utilites" folder there is a placement editor folder. Unfortunately it doesn't work on Windows nor on Wine, probably I just need to install the program from scratch on Windows or on Wine then Placement editor will work.
There is a "Viewer" folder. I can compile it but it shows only black screen.
Both viewer and editor shows this string:
Virtual joystick 0 does not exist

Also viewer requires some files created in the "Editor" because it ask for this: Failed to open file for reading export.txt
Because of this string:
LoadFromPlacementEditor ( "export.txt", "virtual" )
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 23:37
For the viewer to work, you need to have made a level.
Once you have made a level, you use the source code for the viewer in your own game, to load the level.

There are a lot more placement editors on the forums that other users have made. There might be an open source one for you to compile on Linux. Search for Tile editors.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
ryukusu
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you.
I appreciate your hints.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:11:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:11:52