Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How to create executable for specific devices

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 14:32
Would I have to own an Android for example? When compiling do you specify the type of device? How does it know?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
for android you create 1 generic APK

you can specify what devices you want your app to play on, on the playstore when you config your app there
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 15:27
not but its better you have an android devive for testing.
for google playstore you need to register as developer there.

agk using parts of the android sdk/ndk for making executables.

here is something to read
https://developer.android.com/index.html

AGK (Steam) V2 Beta .. : Windows 10 Pro, 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.7.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2015 15:56
AGK 2 will compile to windows and Android in tier 1. (No android device is needed.)
iOS is horrible and you WILL need an apple machine (Not an iOS device) to compile an IPA.

It is however recommended that you own at least one device on the target platform to test that the code will perform as expected on that device.

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
could be possible create the linux version from the windows IDE? I'm not a linux user and would be great if we can get it without install a linux distro, agk, development libs and so...

Best regards
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mobiius why is ios horrible?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2015 11:33
Where do I start.... I'll just use development reasons.
1) You need a Mac to develop for it. (I'm talking officially, and not hackintoshes or whatever frankenmac people want to use.)
1a) Macs are stupidly expensive, if you want to develop for iOS, you'll need a wodge of cash just to buy the devices to develop and test on. In comparison, you can pick up an android device for £40 and everyone has a windows machine don't they?)
2) You need to pay the developer licence every year. Once for iOS, and once for Mac OS. (If you want to develop for Mac as well)
3) The iOS API is restrictive. (Have to keep updating your published apps with each incarnation of the iOS software.
4) Apples verification is quite difficult, and their feedback for rejected apps is final, opaque and non-negotiable. (I.E. Your app doesn't look 'apple' enough, rejected. You have a quit app button, rejected.)

These 4 reasons are enough for me to dislike it.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2015 11:57
Quote: "1) You need a Mac to develop for it."

I must admit it is not easy to get started with Apple and I have had great headaches and hair being pulled out at the start to release an app on their store but you can use the Mac in cloud to release without needing a real Mac.

Check this:
http://www.macincloud.com/

I ended up taking the plunge and buying a Mac but with the above you can develop on Windows and then use the Mac cloud to create the app and release using it.

I agree though that iOS is not as easy as Google/Android to release on and the $99 every year is shocking really compared to Google which is a one off payment and Amazon which is free!

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2015 14:08
Quote: "2) You need to pay the developer licence every year. Once for iOS, and once for Mac OS. (If you want to develop for Mac as well)"

This is one of the main factors why people say iOS is better. It's not better at the high end of apps, in fact there are many Android Apps that are far superior to iOS ones.

The difference is that $99/yr is the first line of Quality Control. With Android you have to sift through the rubbish that gets through because $25 for life makes it accessible to any developer.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mobiius

all your points are valid for the hobbyist developer.

for the developer who has a polished product and can make some profit from it, all points are not problematic at all.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Btw, if you want to test development for IOS these days on the iDevices, a dev account is not required anymore. Only when you wanna publish your app.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2015 19:14 Edited at: 14th Aug 2015 19:15
+1 BJ
+1 BatVink

After i released some apps i bought a mac pro, an ipad 2 air, ipod 5, iphone 6, iphone 5....
And all of this only with the iAD ahuaahu...

Could you do the same with Android???

And we are not counting the 110 apps i have now with paid and iap versions.
If you are not able to do more apps, and apps that users will use, but you do just hobbyst apps,
you will never get back the investment.

Android is for hobbyst, i suggest you to remain there.
As i always say, less coder on ios, more money for me

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Android is problematic.

Because there are so many different hardware configs, its impossible for AppGameKit to work on everything. Users will start leaving bad reviews that your app is not working, and you can't fix that as you depend on AppGameKit and can do nothing... so you will fail

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:18:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:18:37