Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Mirror's Edge Windows 10 Compatibility

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2015 02:24 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2015 02:34
I'm just wondering if anyone else has managed to run the game successfully on Windows 10. It's the first time I've played it since upgrading and I can't get past the opening logos, furthermore I can't access options to put it in compatibility mode for previous versions of Windows.

Although it might also come down to a change in gpu, since I have upgraded today to a lovely jubbly GTX 980. Perhaps I should reinstall it?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I really do love this game and it'd be a crying shame if I couldn't play it anymore.

*EDIT* I managed to access the compatibility modes for previous versions but I still get the same problem.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 23rd Aug 2015 06:17
Disk/Digital Download or Steam?

Runs fine here

Windows 10 Pro x64
Steam Edition, running over Streaming so that works too [I had issues with FFXIII over streaming, had to connect controller to the rig instead of my device]
Core i5 2500 [Second Gen]
NVIDIA GT 740
8GB RAM

Are you using Windows update drivers or direct from NVIDIA site? try performing a clean install of the drivers just to rule that out...

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2015 01:46
Quote: "Disk/Digital Download or Steam?"

Mine's an Origin copy.

Quote: "Are you using Windows update drivers or direct from NVIDIA site? "

Direct from the NVIDIA site, it was first webpage I headed to when I installed the new card.

Quote: "try performing a clean install of the drivers just to rule that out... "

I'll try that when my broadband picks up a bit, it's been really slow recently and I don't know why...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2015 01:49
Might be an issue with the Origin copy then... I could test it out but doubt it would or should make any difference...

Try the clean install first and feedback here... if it then still does not work, I will try installing Origin for you unless someone else can test it out before I do... test it... but I suspect it may be something else... how do other games function for you?

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2015 01:53 Edited at: 25th Aug 2015 02:48
So far, this is the only game I've had a problem with.

Apart from not being able to get past the prologue in Dishonored with a very similar error.

And both are Unreal Engine 3 games...

I'll try Splinter Cell: Blacklist, see if that works.

*EDIT* Splinter Cell: Blacklist runs totally fine. Perhaps it's not a disagreement with Unreal Engine 3.

*EDIT II: THE EDITING* Did a clean install of the drivers, still the same problem. Perhaps one of the game files got messed up at some point. Shame there's no way to verify the cache on older origin games.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2015 04:16
Steam has a cache verification thing... if you can grab your Mirrors Edge key from Origin you could plant it into Steam I think... not sure but I have ME on both platforms either way... just think EA does a poor job of it all...

How much RAM are you packing?

Perhaps re-download both games... provided your network allowed for it... do a speed test and see how much latency you have on your networking...

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2015 17:17 Edited at: 25th Aug 2015 17:18
Quote: ". if you can grab your Mirrors Edge key from Origin you could plant it into Steam I think... "

lol

also how would measuring latency tell you if you can download a game quickly?
FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2015 20:41
Quote: "Perhaps re-download both games"

I suppose that is the only solution here. Good thing these games aren't too big...

Quote: "How much RAM are you packing?"

8GB of generic Kingston DDR3 RAM, one of the few things I haven't upgraded recently.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2015 03:16
Quote: "also how would measuring latency tell you if you can download a game quickly?"

Who said anything about speed?

Quote: "8GB of generic Kingston DDR3 RAM,"

So we can rule out Lack of RAM, but going by the recent debate over Kingston being dodgy

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Why would latency matter at all then?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2015 15:39
I don't have time to explain it but here is a quick article on a similar issue but not sure if it hits on the Write Cache Timing issue

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/time-to-first-byte/

Also Disk I/O latency [if he is using HDD's] can factor into this...

Man I miss the horrible times of 100/133 PATA

His network is SLUGGISH by his description... having a faster network with more responsive timings can greatly reduce failed transfers... you probably never experienced this so I can see why you might not understand it...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:29:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:29:10