Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Expansion files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2015 15:32
Hi,
I am trying to upload an alpha version of my FPS-ZOMBIE app, but unfortunately, because of obj and png (the 3D models), the APK size is getting over 50MB, and the situazione will become worse as soon as I add level, 3D models, additional graphics and so on.
First question: is it possible to use expansion files with png, obj, all file types, or can we store in expansion files only video files?
Second question: could someone supply a short how-to, sample, hints, etc about how to use expansion files?
Consider the my 3d files (obj and textures) are stored under /media/objects, sounds are stored under /media/sounds and the same for worlds (level) and inventories (what kind of equipment is available for each level).
Thanks
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2015 18:26
Quote: "First question: is it possible to use expansion files with png, obj, all file types, or can we store in expansion files only video files?"

Last i have heard only thing you may store in expansion files is videos.

Quote: "Second question: could someone supply a short how-to, sample, hints, etc about how to use expansion files?"

Last time i heard Paul say anything about Expansion files was avoid if possible (as there is no short how-to sample to provide. things get complicated and ugly)

The only option you would have at the moment is retrieving media via the internet...Having your media uploaded to your website and downloading it into your media folder the first time the app has been run.

^ I have not done this myself but have heard others talk about it.

Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 13:08
Quote: "he only option you would have at the moment is retrieving media via the internet"

Thanks I am already doing it with a couple of games, but it is not very elegant. Anyway it seems that there are no alternatives, until Google will increase the size limit for APK.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2015 20:37
Quote: "Anyway it seems that there are no alternatives, until Google will increase the size limit for APK."

They must have heard yah Google have increased the limit to 100MB before requiring expansion files...
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:45:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:45:13