Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Apple TV will be the new console!!!

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 02:04
I'm very happy today after the WWDC.

My hopes are now confirmed, as the Apple TV is a real powerful console.
The Apple store will be alive on it soon and the apps will be universal.

As i told in the past, Microsoft is working with Apple to destroy Android, and it will happen.
Now the future is great and at least other 2 years of big earning are granted for iOS developers.

This is the way the things will be!!!
I hope AppGameKit will get some updates for some new features, abandoning some useless ones.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 02:44
Sounds really nice, I could only imagine the possibilities.

However its going to take a lot to kick Android to the curb mainly Amazon being the biggest retail store in the world...Also Google wont lay down.

Although it is more incentive for us Google Play lovers to get the ball rolling with Apple.

I just cant justify spending money on a hobby when I'm just as happy publishing to Google Play...I'm planning on rolling out atleast 4 apps by the 1st of the year

When and if i start generating income it will all go in 1 cash pile titled Mac Pro. (I'm not going to go out and spend money on a computer I don't like only to use it for publishing to iTunes if I cant make it on Google Play first.)

Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 03:34 Edited at: 10th Sep 2015 03:44
Quote: " Microsoft is working with Apple to destroy Android"

this will never happen....

apple sucks! yup the big one!

and microsoft.... dont get me started... windows 8, 10, mobile ? what? i much prefer vista,xp,7 and thats it.

best phones on the market are android based because they are unlocked.... (my opinion) Google is too big...

microsoft would do better to team up with google to get rid of this apple non sence....

edit: here is a nice idea of who really has the market here.
(android of coarse) http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

www.sheldonscreations.com
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 04:01
Quote: "apple sucks!"

I agree

Apple and Microsoft tried to destroy each other for decades, and they both obviously failed.
Now, they want to join forces to destroy Android?
lol Losers

Quote: "microsoft would do better to team up with google to get rid of this apple non sence...."

If they were smart, but...

Android is going to be around for a long time fellas.
If they play their cards right, Google will pwn them both with out anyone's help except the consumer.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 06:40
Quote: "As i told in the past, Microsoft is working with Apple to destroy Android, and it will happen."

Lol if you say so

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 10:22
Quote: "Apple TV will be the new console!!!"

It has to beat Ouya first.

(Oh wait, it failed because no-one wanted it. Just like no-on will want an Apple TV for it's gaming. The only people who will get one are Apple fanboys who blindly buy everything Apple sell.)

I personally believe that the kind or people who play mobile games, will not spend 2/300 whatevers on a device to play said mobile games on their TV. big companies won't develop for it as traditional devices are proven, and more cost effective.

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 11:12
Bringing the app store to a TV device is actually a pretty big thing.

People who buy apple products and have an apple account, will buy one, and they'll spend money in the app store.

It won't replace consoles, just like iPads never will. The experience is totally different, but it will be an opportunity to take your existing products and get them on another device. That has to be worth a punt.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Great device features. Also the IPad Pro is something I definitely will consider getting for my artwork jobs.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 17:49 Edited at: 10th Sep 2015 18:47
We've had Android TV boxes for ages. Some with better technical spec, always less expensive, and more open than the fruity version.

I don't think it'll have much impact at all tbh.

Quote: "That has to be worth a punt. "
Only if they are commercially successful products.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 19:13 Edited at: 10th Sep 2015 19:15
Apple TV 149$... they will send free for developers. I just done the request today.
They will choose only few ones, i hope i will be one of them, damn i have 111 apps!!!

When i say "destroy" i don't mean erase android from the world, but destroy in selling.

A9 with Metal is faster than a medium desktop, and i think that for 149$ all the US and China will buy it.

When you talk about those kind of things, you must think to the earning, not to "Android Fan" or "Apple Fan", or you are not a coder.

I understand the most here is hobbyst, but the online conference is for developers not for hobbyst.

I think AppGameKit must change the way, and focus on Apple / Microsoft 10. This is the future.

Microsoft is losing surface giving the possibility to Apple to let the iPAD Pro to grow, and Apple is giving to Microsoft the possibility to bridge the OBJC to have more APP.

The earnings are in the apps not in the hardware, and microsoft understood it.

That's all.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 20:04
Quote: "When you talk about those kind of things, you must think to the earning, not to "Android Fan" or "Apple Fan", or you are not a coder."

So, wait, by your logic we're not programmers unless we do it exclusively for money?

I sure you hope you have a soft saddle for your high horse there!

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2015 21:32
Quote: "Apple TV 149$... they will send free for developers."

Well where do we get this, I am sure we wouldn't mind a free one!

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2015 17:28
Quote: "I am sure we wouldn't mind a free one!"

Agreed! Where do I sign?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 04:18
Simple on the Apple site, but you need to have apps in the apple store to be in the list of luck...

Well Yodaman, you can also code for fame or for yourself for sure, but the Android VS Apple fan war is out of a coder minds.

Maybe my english is not too god enough to explain what i mean.

Anyway, the point is that AppGameKit must go straight for iOS/MAC and Windows 10 Universal or the engine will lose soon his power.

And i wish use AppGameKit for my future games.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 05:10
Quote: "Android VS Apple fan war"

They are both going to be around for a very long time.

Quote: "coder minds."

No, it would be out of business preference.

Coding is Coding

Your making your Itunes decision based off Business NOT coding.

If a business owner thinks he can make more money selling lemonade on a certain street corner. He is obviously going to go to that corner.

The process of making the lemonade has nothing to do with which corner he ends up on.

Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 16:30
Quote: "If a business owner thinks he can make more money selling lemonade on a certain street corner. He is obviously going to go to that corner.

The process of making the lemonade has nothing to do with which corner he ends up on."

i 100% agree with this... i simply dont like apple probably because i havent figured it out yet and dont understand why its locked up soo bad for developing on. Im also not willing to invest 100 a year to see if i have a chance at making my money back.

google play is allot easier to submit games to. they dont even look at your apps you submit unless someone complains or reports it as being offensive. Also the registration is only a flat 25 dollars one time.

sadly my best success was on blackberry playbook scoring me about 1000$ over the lifetime of my app sales. next in line was ouya scoring me about 50$ lol! which they never paid me for either.... lol!

after much thought... my main target is back to PC/Mac home computers. Im thinking with the new linux support that a game made with agk will have a higher chance of being accepted to the steam store. Seeing one agk game on steam should be motivation for everyone to consider trying to get green lit.... at the same time your game better be good enough for it.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 17:37
I'm happy to shell out to get my app on iOS, and macOS it's nice that Android is basically free after registration and that you can definitely get your game on there, and it is nice I can sell my games on Windows. But when I consider the cost of the game I'm making the apple registration fee isn't that high.

I break it down as:

23 days work, 2 hours per day. £6.50 an hour = £299
Cost of assets, sound and music = £75
Website domain registration: £19.50
Server cost: £9.99 a month

Total at present: £403.49

That's before completing the game. I've prob got another week or two before I feel it's ready for release.

So adding on another 14 * 2 * 6.50 = 182 + £403.49 = £585.49

I count labor because, hell I could be doing a part time job instead of coding this.

As I'll have invested nearly £600 in time, resources, I figure an extra £79 to see if I can get it onto apple (if it's rejected I'll resubmit after a rework). Is a fairly minor cost. If I fail I've still got a year to retry it and other games.

That's just my reasoning of course. If you make something worth while, get it everywhere and anywhere you can. That's my motto. Taking that approach increased my ebook sales after all.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 18:12
Quote: "apple registration fee isn't that high."

This cannot be argued with as it is not very expensive at all.

The extra hoops you have to jump through is what gets me.

I do not like mac computers, the only reason I would buy one is to publish my apps...which I don't consider myself ready for Apple. Too many things need to be improved on and one day I may consider all the start up costs (Because it is more than just the registration fee)

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 18:28 Edited at: 12th Sep 2015 18:32
I agree the hoops are annoying.

But then look at the Android, Blackberry and Windows stores... There is ALOT of rubbishware on them. Especially Windows with all it's illegal Nintendo and SEGA game emulated rom compiles. It's like they don't even look at their own store. Some of the stuff I've seen on Blackberry makes me want to drive down there and start a quality control team myself!

I buy apple store products with a reasonable amount of confidence. Their apps are often more polished than the android versions. I've rarely had much of a complaint about Apple Apps.

Android, Windows store, and Blackberry have given more reasons to complain all too often.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2015 20:05
humm.... i agree with the 100$ a year fee isnt bad if you have something that is good enough to create revenue.

i dont have anything of quality yet... so i will wait till i do before trying to post on apple. or im just loosing 100$ a year more then i need to be.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 13:26
Quote: "Im also not willing to invest 100 a year to see if i have a chance at making my money back.
"

Well it is £80 a year for Apple and yes it is a pain in the back side to get anything on there but once you have done a couple it is not too bad to get your head around.

Paint Pot is a simple program and my first in AppGameKit, it has had a lot of downloads but only made £25 for the paid for version but then that only leaves £55 left needed to pay for the rest of the years fees.

So the more apps on there then you would make your money back but yes the equipment is stupidly expensive as you need it to publish on the store.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 14:32
Apple TV doesn't have a controller so it can't compare as a console. It can only handle very basic games. Both Amazon's Fire TV and Razor's Forge TV have controllers. Two Android based systems. You can add Nvidia's Shield to that as well, but it's a handheld and not a TV console.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 15:02 Edited at: 13th Sep 2015 15:08
Quote: "Apple TV doesn't have a controller so it can't compare as a console."

buzzzzzzz. WRONG! Please Apple haters, get your facts correct and stop spreading wrong information to make your favorite system look better.

http://www.apple.com/tv/games-and-more/

For Apple TV 4 they will sell a controller. But I am sure you consider that device not a controller

Quote: "big companies won't develop for it as traditional devices are proven, and more cost effective."

So Activision with Guitar hero live isn't a big company, hehe. Big companies are already present on the IOS app store just like they are on Google Play. They will welcome the new platform with its extended controller abilities.

Using AGK2 Tier 1
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you say guys about that they gave the remote controller a 3d gyro so you can use it similar to the Wii?

Using AGK2 Tier 1
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 15:24
You must have something that cover the 100$ or what the hell are you publishing for?
If you want to code and play your game alone you can do directly on your desktop.

Publishing make other people play your games, so you need to make a good game.
A good game, deserve to be paid!!!!

An online store MUST be checked, as Apple do, in fact Google store is full of app that none see and none will use = no download = no money.

This is why google store is cheap!!!

Android can do war on free and hack, the quality is another world.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 16:43 Edited at: 13th Sep 2015 16:44
Quote: "buzzzzzzz. WRONG! Please Apple haters, get your facts correct and stop spreading wrong information to make your favorite system look better."

First off, don't call me an Apple hater. Second, I looked around but I couldn't find the controller. Only the new remote. Apple have previously resisted controllers for a long time. It's good to have another platform to release games on.

Quote: "An online store MUST be checked, as Apple do, in fact Google store is full of app that none see and none will use = no download = no money."

Amazon, Razer and Nvidia also curates their own stores. Google have nothing to do with their products.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 17:07
Quote: "Publishing make other people play your games, so you need to make a good game.
A good game, deserve to be paid!!!!"

agreed! and i also want to mention that i dont hate apple either.... i just dont like the hoops you need to jump through just to get something done.

in my mind... simple = better

i have a mac pc sitting right beside me... but i much prefer using my windows machine. Its simpler and easier to use and i get what i want done quickly.

I do however want to get my hands on linux... this could be the next windows replacement for me cause its built solid!

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2015 20:55
My view is that Apple TV will be a hit. It does seem to solve a lot of issues and seems pretty cool. TGC will want to get our apps onto the device so we'll be looking to ensure AppGameKit can support it (hopefully it'll be easy to do so).

We've signed up for a dev kit, just hoping they send us one of the early ones to work with.

I think Apple & Google have the size and ability to make a device a huge hit. I am not so sure about nVidia and others. They have to make a huge impact if they want to stick around in people's living rooms. It's interesting times, lots of devices and innovation (watches, VR, Streaming etc), who will still be around in 5 years though? Time will tell...

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
too late!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2015 01:26
It will be interesting to see how the Steam boxes do as well. Valve sure are taking their time. I think most people will stick to Xbox or Playstation. Apple have very loyal customers but I have so far never heard of anyone who owns an Apple TV. We will see how this one does.

Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2015 10:58
Great that you'll be supporting Apple TV directly in AppGameKit Rick.

My only concern is the lack of local storage (config files, cache, save states etc), maybe you guys can build Cloudkit support into Tier 1?

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 01:25
I m very happy Apple selected me to receive a apple tv developement kit!!!!
This will give me an incredible advantage on the other publishers!!!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 02:03
Quote: "I m very happy Apple selected me to receive a apple tv developement kit!!!!
This will give me an incredible advantage on the other publishers!!!
"

indeed it will! congrats as you deserve it!

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 03:16
Thanks softmotion3d

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Well done Gekko... new template for tvOS!?!!!
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 17:24 Edited at: 15th Sep 2015 17:24
Yes BJ!!! The TV is top seller in many country, and now is my most downloaded app
I'm doing a great update, and when the apple tv will be here i will start to update all apps for it!!
Another big work before christmas!!

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 22:33
I got a dev kit too.

Always great to get kit for free.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Gekko now you don't have free time to do new videos
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 22:42
Anyone know how this will work:

Eg -

iOS - $99 fee
Mac - $99 fee
TV - $99 fee ??

or is it going to be if it is on the iOS store you just need a few tweaks to get it up and running for the Apple TV with controller?

It's probably a good idea to get your apps on the big screen as AGK2 would be able to cover it.

From there and if Windows 10 get the Apple iOS apps working then will this mean apps on the Xbox store?

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2015 01:54
No Apple unified all the developer program in 1!!!

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2015 04:30
Quote: "No Apple unified all the developer program in 1!!!"

You mean it is just $99 for all of them, just one payment?

This is very good and better value if it is.

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Apple changed their developer requirements for developing games on the Apple TV requiring that games must be playable using the remote and cant be controller only.

"Important: Game controllers are optional purchases that people may or may not make. But every Apple TV has a remote. If you support game controllers in your app, you must make the remote usable as a game controller too."

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/appletv/remote/

This is disappointing as it means a lot of games just wont be worth developing for it now, as they will be unplayable just using motions controls and a glorified trackpad. This requirement makes it less of a games console than the Amazon Fire TV which allows for controller only games, or even the Ouya.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
What is the current minimum OSX and XCode version to develop and publish for OSX/IOS/tvOS?

Using AGK2 Tier 1
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2015 17:46 Edited at: 16th Sep 2015 17:46
You need iOS 9 it will be out today at 18:00 ITA hour.
This is why in summer i had no holidays and worked on the updates for all my apps.

Now i'm ready for 9!!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
you only pay $99 per year now and can do apps for ios, mac and soon tv
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 00:48
Quote: "you only pay $99 per year now and can do apps for ios, mac and soon tv "

Didn't realise that. That's good news and pretty good value now.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 14:55
Bummer about the controller. RTA would be near unplayable with the remote. It is hard enough to play on a touch screen as it is. This means that the Apple TV won't get hard core games unless they change that.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2015 05:53
On Apple site you can choose some Joypad of third part that are really great.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2015 11:51 Edited at: 19th Sep 2015 11:52
Gekko
I am referring to this:

"Important: Game controllers are optional purchases that people may or may not make. But every Apple TV has a remote. If you support game controllers in your app, you must make the remote usable as a game controller too."

That just ruined the Apple TV for me.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2015 18:07
Ahhh, well, yes the remote has an SDK, i will sure add it to my Gekko Template.
I'm solving and fixing all the things for the new iOS 9.

On Monday i will receive my Apple TV Kit, and i will tell you how it work

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:22:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:22:24