Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Apple TV will be the new console!!!

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 14:32
It's an interesting evolution for Apple TV but I still don't think it will be that popular. I can't see the majority of existing apps designed for touch screens working well so it will mean new apps written purely for the Apple TV. I know there will be a remote control app for iPhones etc. so perhaps we will see games similar to the Wii U with a handheld screen and a TV screen but they would still need to work if you only have the remote. The Chromecast can do this too and even though I love sending my phone screen or videos etc. to the TV, the duel screen games available for it at the moment aren't great - but then it did only cost me £20 on sale.

I know of several organisations who own quite a few original Apple TV devices (no individuals) and they are purely used as an easy way to send their iPhone, iPad or iMac screen to a TV or projector. They have never purchased any streaming content and I doubt would ever buy any apps for them. I have a sneaky suspicion these users account for the majority of Apple TV sales so far.

I know I may be in a minority here but I'm not happy about the Apple developer fees. Paying that fee every year or they remove your apps is bad enough but add on to that a minimum of £399 for a Mac Mini for development and £219 for an iPad Mini for testing (required as Xcode only comes with a device simulator and not a hardware emulator). You've got to sell 1000 x 99p apps to make that money back (working on a 70% revenue share). That's not accounting for your time and other costs. If you aren't a hobbiest and want to sell apps to make a living then you've got to sell a LOT of apps.

Chart data provided with kind permission from ELSPA
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 18:05
But yes Zappo, this is the final goal, selling apps.
99 apps must be selled in less than an hour...

If a person is a hobbyst coder, i think there is no reason to publish in any store.
Who publish in a store, hopes to sell, this is why i will never understand hobbyst.

Anyway, Metal on Apple TV with the A8 is strong just like a Xbox or PlayStation and Apple update their OS regularly, so i think it will sell much.

The Apple TV is just arrived to my home, i will start some test tonight

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
With the requirement of supporting the remote when you want your game to be played with the controller kills a lot of game types. Bummer.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 23:54
Quote: "If a person is a hobbyst coder, i think there is no reason to publish in any store.
Who publish in a store, hopes to sell, this is why i will never understand hobbyst."

To offer some kind of explanation:

Compared to other hobbies like scuba diving, mountain biking, radio controlled aeroplanes, photography, golf etc, the $100 yearly fee for putting apps on the App store starts to look reasonable. When I look at how much my brother spends on Warhammer figures every year, $100 is nothing.

The reason a hobbyist may want to publish to an app store is it's a simple way to distribute games to friends, family, work colleges and random people they meet in the pub. If my output was a little more prolific and I was a Mac and iProduct user then I probably would publish to the App store.

A reason for not charging money is (a) on google play you have to give a business address which I don't have and I'm not using my home address (I don't know if this is true on the App store) and (b) if the app doesn't work on someone's device I would be obliged to sort it out by either fixing the app or refunding money (both of which just add hassle). I could use adverts as a way of generating revenue but I suspect that it wouldn't make that much.

Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 01:42 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2015 01:49
Quote: "The reason a hobbyist may want to publish to an app store "

1. He may be proud of his work and wants to show it off.
2. There is no reason he shouldn't publish it to the store.
3. Maybe his hobby app hits a homerun (Never know if you don't have it out there)
4. He might want to share it.

the list can go on and on and on.....

@ Gekko
So your saying...If you don't get paid to golf...why golf?
If you don't get paid to play beer pong...why play?
If you don't get paid to........why do it?

Just because people cant afford to quit there day jobs...to take the gamble of becoming a full time app developer...Dosnt mean we cant dream / try our best. We may remain hobbiest for the rest of our lives...but if you never try...

Its like I always say to my buddies when hunting dove.

When there is lead in the air, there is danger.

If you never pull the trigger, you will go hungry.

Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 03:11 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2015 03:13
I repeat, i agree with you about the dream, the app homerun etc....
But a hobbyst just dream, doesn't aim to be rich, as he already has another job.

If you code as hobbyst you will complete a mediocre game in 8 months (low spare time), but after 8 months Android has 1000 new device, so the hobbyst must start over again.

So this dream has 1% of possibilities to become true.
Anyway dreaming is ok for all.

Another story is the way to share your app to friends...
Just put the download link on facebook and you will distribute it faster.

So finally i don't agree with all the subject listed

Anyway, this is not the reason of this post, but the earning of the coding on Apple TV.
I never talk for hobbyst, for me is completely another thing.

My hobby are skateboarding, kick boxing, basket, music...
Coding is a serious thing. Is a world, is a style of life, you can do it only if you look a code and you see in front of you what is written, already rendered

Ahahah

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 16:41
Stop complaining about the $100 / year fee, it's just $0,27 / day, hardly a robbery, if you ask me. Anyone can get $100 in a year, dress up as a monkey, and jump around at the streets, with a hat for coins, and you'r there in 2 days :-P

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 17:16
xGEKKOx - Respectfully, I pretty much disagree with everything you've put there.
My full time job is coding. Not games but business and web applications. I create games as a hobby and have been for well over 20 years (don't ask my age!). I think you will find a lot of people on these forums in a similar situation. I am a little offended that you would call our games mediocre just because they take longer to produce.

Quote: "but after 8 months Android has 1000 new device, so the hobbyst must start over again"

That isn't true. The games we create with AppGameKit work on Android devices from 3.2 right up to 5 and beyond without a rewrite.

Quote: "Just put the download link on facebook and you will distribute it faster."

Would you install an Android APK from a download link in Facebook? For a start you would have to turn the security feature off which by default only allows installs from Google Play. Downloading an Apple IPA file just won't work at all on an iOS device. I suppose rather than publishing to the store you could plug their device into your Mac and add it as a dev device, and then generate and download a new profile, build and sign your IPA and then use the Mac to push it over to the device, but who is going to do that for all their friends, family and acquaintances? And you still need to pay for a dev account to do that.

Just because someone does not choose (or cannot afford) to create apps as their full time job does not mean that what they produce is inferior to someone who does.

Chart data provided with kind permission from ELSPA
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 17:28
Quote: "On Monday i will receive my Apple TV Kit, and i will tell you how it work "

Awesome! I'm curious to see what it will look like

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2015 04:10
Sorry Zappo, I never wanted to offend nobody, as i told also my games are mediocre, i only done an example.

Why all of you get always offended? I will never understand that thing, maybe different country you go, different people you find.

AGK for android never worked for what i need, but it depend on java for me, and i can't lose time with a language like it.

On iOS is different, cause TGC has done a great job, leaving open some files, so i updated it in the years following what Apple did. I mixed C++ with OBJC and now i also know swift (for me is the worst)

I renew the help i want to give to TGC for updating AppGameKit for iOS/MAC for free!!

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2015 15:48
If you email me the changes you had to make to the template I'll take a look and see if we can integrate them.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2015 22:53
Quote: "Apple TV will be the new console!!!"

Quote: "you must make the remote usable as a game controller"

All hail the Apple TV master race. lol </sarcasm>

A console where you HAVE to use an inferior controller will never take off. Even the millions of Apple fanboys won't save it. Motion controllers are a gimmick, nothing more. As mentioned before, the majority of devices sold will just be a way to stream videos/music to a TV. (Something all my Android devices can do without any additional hardware may I add.)

Saying that, you'll probably get people making apps which support the iWiggleStick Pro Nano + really badly just to add support, then design the game for controllers. I would.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2015 07:03
Hi Paul, i will send you the list of new fix for tomorrow afternoon.
I just started to test the Apple TV.

If you need help for the iOS/MAC/tvOS version of AppGameKit, i will be proud to help for free!!!

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2015 18:27
Ok Paul sent you a mail!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:27:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:27:58