Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / who would be interested in a training course?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Howdy all.
If you are not familiar with some of my prior work, I created a training course for creating 2D vector art on udemy.com, for a cool little application called Drawplus. https://www.udemy.com/create2dartforgames

The course has been around a while, and ended up being a success. If anyone is interested, there are still some coupon codes avail,use "promocode101" to get the whole course for $9, but there are a limited number left.

Since I enjoyed building that course, and I decided to work on one for AGK2, from what I can find, other then a few youtube videos, I have not come across any structured in depth AGK2 video tutorials yet.

So I decided I should make one.
This will be entry level, sticking with the basics of Tier1 only.
It will begin with basic conceptual aspects of programming in general and game design. Then move into an overview of the AGK2 IDE itself, then we will move on to building some simple text only games like guess the number etc. We will go over some basic program components like IF/THEN, Loops, GETRAWKEY, PRINT/PRINTC INC/DEC and some other common commands.

After that we will move into a few sprite based games, importing graphics and sound. Placing sprites on screen, moving sprites around, interacting with them using the mouse, dealing with collisions, setting Offsets etc.

It will move into Functions, and creating several different functions, using parameters and passing values etc. We will build (as of the current outline, 3 different sprite based games) Many of the lessons will be finished off with a quiz, to reinforce what has been taught.

The goal is to get a newcomer comfortable with the AGK2 IDE, and Tier 1 language, understanding the basics of game design, and proper coding structures.

We will not be going into anything 3D, physics based stuff or particles, as I feel that a foundation course is the best place to start, and based on that perhaps an advanced course could be something in the future that would include what I would consider the more complex components.

Of course all the source code used in the course as well as the graphic and sound assets will be included. The course is still pretty early on, and if you have ever done any video production and voice over work, you know it can take a while to edit and render to a final cut. But based on my estimation of the material, I assume this could would end up somewhere at about 8-12 hours of recorded video, perhaps more If I add additional content beyond my current course outline.

I am just curious if others would have any interest in this type of course, or recommend it to new users.

I will post more to this forum when the course is complete, for those interested.

thanks
Sam
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2015 01:37
if you do one on tier 2 id be very interested as that will be my next move from agk2 basic....

www.sheldonscreations.com
Danishly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2015 22:41
I will be very interested in that course, as I feel youtube is severely lacking in decent courses for AGK2! I will subscribe for sure!

Just started - Much to learn
Stupinator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2015 23:24
Always have enjoyed working on tutorials for hours on end. I'd be very interested!

-Stupinator

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:09:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:09:58