Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Failed to create XAudio2?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 19:00
I'm getting the error message "Failed to create XAudio2, make sure you have the "DirectX End-User Runtime" installed.

This is the latest AGK2, fairly new computers, all running Win7 professional 64 bit, and DirectX 11.

I click OK and the program runs fine. The program uses no audio commands.

But I'd rather not have to ask my users to install something new (besides my application). This reminds me of the bad old days when DBPRO programs wouldn't run unless a specific version of DX9 was installed.

Can this be fixed in the next version of AGK2? Or is it something I'll have to live with?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 19:12
A lot of Steam games will install the end user runtime during installation, so if your users play a lot of games they probably already have it. If not you can point them here to run a web installer that will only download what they are missing, or here for an offline version that you are allowed to distribute with your app.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 19:16
I have the same issue with Win 10. Does this aply to Win 10?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 19:28
I think the problem is DX11, that dropped some important files you got with DX9.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 21:43 Edited at: 15th Sep 2015 21:45
The reason for this error is that AppGameKit uses XAudio 2.7 which is a version behind what shipped with Windows 8+. This is to provide compatibility with Windows XP.

To ensure the user can use your AppGameKit application without the error, you will have to bundle the needed DirectX files and have them silently install via an installer. AGK's own installer does not do this, or at least it didn't last time I checked, and you would still need to do it yourself for standalone executables.

Here is my own NSIS script included in my AppGameKit installers for such a purpose. It is minimal and only includes the required files so is about 2MB overhead.

The DirectX directory files referenced were pulled from the DirectX SDK you will need to download.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
this makes NO sense for an sdk based on OpenGL that is dependent on DX for the audio!

For example I use T2 and I don't use the AppGameKit sound commands as I use another sound sdk, so for me getting this error is very off-putting, especially since my Windows games come as 1 exe and don't need any installs.

I hope that this goes away, WHEN and IF AppGameKit will support WinRT universal app format
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2015 00:53
This is disappointing for me as well. I'm writing utilities right now, not games, and I don't need an installer. To require my customers to install a 3rd party program, NOT under my control is not good.

I guess that's what I get for writing apps instead of games with AppGameKit, but it's SO handy to whip a quick utility into shape.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree 100% about the sound issue and raised it myself a couple times over the years. Since the visual engine itself is OpenGL it makes sense to simply use a self-contained audio engine rather than depend on DirectX runtimes. There are plenty out there, YSE for instance is open source C++ and cross-platform compatible on all of AGK's sectors including Windows, Linux, OS X, Android and iOS.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 03:31
does anyone still use xp?

im only plus one up but it at least has an update to directx above 9c

(vista)

www.sheldonscreations.com
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 06:00 Edited at: 17th Sep 2015 06:01
^ Not nearly enough people still use XP to continue inconveniencing the rest of users by requiring obsolete and unsupported libraries. 3% to 12% of users at most are still on XP, and few if any new games released these days still support XP. Microsoft itself stopped supporting it 1.5 years ago so anyone still using XP as their main machine deserves to be left behind at this point. This is the same argument I made during various bouts of GameGuru development in which continued XP support seemed to be stifling greater development aspirations. (I do still have an active XP partition for playing many legacy games that don't work well in 7+.)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 12:54 Edited at: 17th Sep 2015 12:55
Windows XP is second highest across all platforms including Apple and Unix.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 16:36 Edited at: 17th Sep 2015 16:39
XAudio 2.8 is only supported on Windows 8 and above, so to support Windows 7 and below we must use XAudio 2.7, which is part of the DirectX runtime. Support for XP is a benefit, but not the main reason for the runtime requirement.

OpenAL was a possible alternative for Windows (we use it on all the other platforms) but requires the user to have OpenAL installed, which is the same problem we have with DirectX. Also licensing means we can't build it into the exe, and it's unclear if we can distribute the OpenAL DLL without an OpenAL installation.

YSE looks interesting, I hadn't heard of that one before, but would be a large change just to mitigate the small number of cases where the DirectX runtime needs to be installed. I'd also need to read the licensing requirements of YSE and the third party libraries it uses like JUCE, so it's not a high priority.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with the OpenAL argument. Having to install 3rd party packages is never a good thing.

I hope that in the future you can move things to Xaudio 2.8, when windows10 takes over the world and only a small % will still be using win7

Would it be possible for T2 to have some sort of option to do away with Xaudio or at least be able to change it to Xaudio 2.8?
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 12:39
I repeat: I have the same issue on Win 10.
Do I have to upgrade something in my OS or what?
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 14:16
Why not have both? if DX9 is not detected, use DX11/12 automatically

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Nightbreed
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes George++, follow either one of the links in the second post.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 20:25
Thanks Nightbreed for your response. I asked because I don't know if there is problem installing previous DirectX versions under Win 10.
Nightbreed
Years of Service
User Offline
I had to install dx9 for another game I was playing on windows 10, it works fine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:22:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:22:42