Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Star Castle [Arcade]

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 06:46 Edited at: 29th Sep 2015 02:24
Another WIP ... Star Castle CE

If you were around in the early 1980's, and you remember the arcades in their glory days, then you may remember this game... 'Star Castle'.

You get 3 ships to try and destroy the Star Castle, which is protected by and energy shield of 3 rings spinning around it.
Each of the rings has 12 sections, and you can make a hole into the center of the shield by destroying the ring sections.
But beware, the castle can also destroy you if it gets an clear shot to fire it's missiles.
All the while, 3 mines (orbs) are homing in on your location in an effort to blow you up before you destroy the castle.
If you shoot all of the sections of the outer ring of the shield, then it will regenerate in the center, pushing out the middle to the outside and the existing inner ring to the middle.
Each castle destroyed earns you an extra life, but also increases the speed of things for the next round.

This game was difficult to play, but a whole lot of fun.
It did not have a joystick, just 4 buttons (other than the start buttons).
The left 2 buttons were used to control your ship's rotation, while the others were used for thrust and firing your weapon.
The original arcade version by Cinematronics used black and white vector graphics with an overlay on the screen to give the illusion of color graphics.
It was also one of the first games to have enemy characters track the players movements and home in on them.

This fan based remake uses <S> and <D> for the rotation, <K> for thrust, and <L> for fire.
The <5> key is used for simulated coin input, and the <6> key is used for the one player start button.
The original used turn based play for the two players, but I am thinking of upgrading that for co-op play.
That is a feature in the works though, so it is not functional now.

Here is a demo of what I have working so far.... (see attached)
Try it out and tell me what you think.

</div>

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 06:47 Edited at: 29th Sep 2015 02:20
Here is the screenshot ...

</div>

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 07:20
Sweet looking stuff conjured You have been busy

Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2015 23:29
Quote: "If you were around in the early 1980's, and you remember the arcades in their glory days, then you may remember this game... 'Star Castle'."

I certainly do remember Star Castle and it was a good game. You have recreated it very well so far, great job

Looking forward to the updates! You have some great arcade projects ongoing at the minute.
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:56:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:56:02