Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Guess who just went 4k!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2015 00:42
Bought myself a new tv for the bedroom today. Since most of my tv viewing is at night when I'm about to go to sleep, and my couch is a bit too small for me to fully stretch out on, it was either get a new couch or buy a tv for my bedroom. TV won. Yes, I bought last years model, but it was cheaper and supposedly still uses the same processors. But so far I'm happy with it. The built-in wifi is really nice, I don't have to run a lan cable now. And I can link it to my computer (with downloaded software), which I assume I can then read movies from it. (haven't tried yet)

Samsung UN40HU6950

It looks nice, but so far I'm not seeing a huge improvement over 1080. But could be just the source. I been trying to find decent youtube videos at 4k

\"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.\" - Linus Torvalds
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2015 00:45
Congrats man! Everyone deserves to treat ones self every now and then
Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 3rd Oct 2015 18:37
Quote: "It looks nice, but so far I'm not seeing a huge improvement over 1080. But could be just the source. I been trying to find decent youtube videos at 4k"

What have you tried watching on it so far? I've been wanting to get a 4k monitor for a while and I think I'll likely end up getting this soon, as it looks to be the best 4k monitor i can find.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2015 19:08
When you get 4k content playing on the 4k screen, it is more noticeable. When it's upscaled from a lower source, you won't. I don't have a 4k TV - have seen them with a 4k source, and I have a 1440p monitor and even then it's quite noticeable.

Hmm, I'll see if I can find any samples to try it with:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CSvfbDYA_k[/video]

I know just a sample video, but the available content out there is very limited. There is 4k Netflix, which is available to most 4k Smart TV's. Unfortunately not available to PC users.

Also, some 4k stuff on YouTube is actually upscaled and doesn't give a proper representation.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2015 22:45
Yea I don't have any 4k content really, aside from what I've seen on a few youtube clips. The upscaling is so-so.

The 4k netflix is another $4/mo extra, not worth it to me just yet.

That tv looks pretty similar to mine. I'm not looking at using my for a gaming monitor like a lot of people. As far as the smart tv features I've been pretty happy. I plugged in a usb3 harddrive with movies and whatnot on it. The nice thing is that if you watch an episode of something, it just starts playing the next one in the folder after it's done. The downside, it made me waste 2 hours of my morning watching old batman cartoons. Apparently, you can get a usb camera and skype with your tv or use the camera for motion gestures.

The PC app, Smart View, looks pretty cool. Synced it to my tv and and now I can watch tv on my computer. Downside there is, it simply mirrors, so no split tuning. Still, nice when you got the OSU game on (even though they're losing)

\"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.\" - Linus Torvalds
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 03:07 Edited at: 4th Oct 2015 03:09
Seppuku you only need this part... 5CSvfbDYA_k

Check out Devin Super Tramp, he shoots in 4K...

https://www.youtube.com/user/devinsupertramp
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2015 17:08
It won't stream the 4k smoothly enough for me, and I have a 25Mb connection.
I might try to download some stuff and stick it on a usb or something. My favorite part about this tv so far is that wifi is built in and I can access movies directly from my network drives. No more connecting my laptop to the tv!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:52:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:52:49