Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DarkBasic Pro & game creation help.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 03:20
Hey guys & Gals,

I have owned DarkBasic Pro for many years but have never touched it for various reasons.
I am not a programmer and have 0% knowledge in any programming language, thou I am trying to do html courses online.

I don't wish to make FPS games at all, but would like to create games like FarmTown, HayDay and many others.
Not web based games as I know many use java but similar style.
So I am now disabled and have tons of time to learn things I would like to do which is why I ask.

That said what is the best way to learn DarkBasic Pro and programming in general?
What books if any should i get to start learning programming and DarkBasic Pro?

Like I said I'm a total noob and know nothing of programming.

Thanks in advance
Fred
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 12:49
Hi Gren [Fred]

These two books are invaluable

Hands on DBPro Book 1
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2161
Hands on DBPro Book 2
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2162

You can buy the PDF versions for easy usage and near instant access, Also note it can take up to a day or two or longer if buying on the weekend for the order to process, but I think Digital content is now automatically approved...

Always shout out here if help is needed...

Sorry to hear of the circumstances, but hey, more time to concentrate! hope you recover well... err if it is such a situation...
Gren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 17:49
Hello MrValentine,

Thanks for the fast reply and the information, I really appreciate it.

I will take a look at the books you suggested thou I like hard copies of books for certain programs, but depends on price.

Thanks for your well wishes, I appreciate it as well.
Its a big change to be unable to work and hurts the pocket book as well, but it could always be worse.

Thanks again
Fred
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th Oct 2015 00:18
There are physical books on those links...
Katyman
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 21:35
I am disabled as well and like you I have a lot of time on my hands. I have been using DBPro since 2008 and I taught myself from the ground up. The books helps and I have the PDF files also.

What helped me was to print examples and then watched the program run and tried to see how the code worked with the program and how each line performed what function. Never hurts to experiment!! I have had to do my share of CTRL-ALT-Del many times when I messed up to kill the task.

I would suggest that you don't use a laptop if you can help it. Set up a desktop, one that is a gamer with good CPU, graphics and memory, and two display monitors. Use one to code and run the program and the other to display instructions or help files. That is what helped me to start programming.

My game program I am close to finishing has been on my bucket list since 2010. Lots of trial and error but it was a labor of love. I hope that one day it can be released to the public. Needs a lot of beta testing and eliminate any chance of copy righted stuff just in case.

Good lucj and welcome to DBPro programming!!!
When old programmers die...do they decompile?
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2015 04:45
Hey Gren. I have a lot of free time in the evenings if u need some help with a project or hands on tutoring send me an email. Smerfboyblue@yahoo.com. I'm by no means an expert but I can get you programming in no time. U.S mst
and katyman id love to be a beta tester.
A child\'s dream never dies.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 07:32:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 07:32:33