Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is confirmation of displaying AGK ads possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2015 22:45
I was wondering if there is a way to check/confirm whether an advert is/has indeed been displayed in a game (in Tier1) or if displaying is not possible -say because of loss or non-existent connection.
What also interests me is this: Is it possible for someone to make sure that an ad has been displayed for a specific amount of time, before updating the screen to a new ad?
Thank you for your time.
SpinieBop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2015 04:56
If you are using Admob to display adds you can use Google ADSense to view details on when and where ads are being displayed. Admob also allows you to set a refresh rate which will display a new add after x seconds, usually set to 30 seconds but you can change it, this means you do not have to code a time into your game, an added benefit of doing it this way is that when you change the time, it will affect all your existing downloads.
Kevin
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2015 07:49
I think nickele upgraded is after more control over displaying full-screen ads. If we could detect when an add was playing, we could do things like force the screen into landscape so the ad-video uses the entire screen. Currently portrait apps that use full-screen ads get a squashed version of the video playing to fit the portrait layout. We could also offer rewards if we knew the user had watched a video for more than x amount of time etc.

I'd like to see more work on ad support too.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
nickele upgraded
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2015 11:42
@CJB: You are correct! That's exactly what I would like from AGK: More control over ads.

Why not follow the trends which uses in-game advertisements, but without ruining player experience? If we make a game that gradually unlocks all its features to the players, but requires a certain number of (non intrusive) ads to be displayed then everyone would be happy. The problem as I see it with AppGameKit (at the moment) is that there is no way for the developer to check if the request for ad-displaying has been complete, that is if the ad was fetched from the ad-server and displayed properly on screen, so that there is income. If the player just switches off the networking in his device, no ad will be displayed, no money will be made, no way the developer can decide if another step towards unlocking the game has been made.

If someone thinks I sound a bit irrational, he just ignores that the habits of the people who buy mobile games have changed, because... nobody buys anymore! Players (in their great majority) expect either completely free games, or titles with lots of free content before they decide if they like to buy an iap.

Take for example the mistreatment (through the review system) of the excellent game named "Monument Valley" for iOS (you can read the story here: http://toucharcade.com/2014/11/12/one-star-reviews-flood-monument-valley-following-paid-expansion-release/). There were people who gave 1 star to this amazing game, simply because the developers decided to make the expansion of THEIR GAME as paid downloadable content!!!

It's insanity and its also the fault of some big companies that free and free-to-play games flooded the various app-stores. But that's what players like & demand from mobile games nowadays.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@nickele unfortunately we are not going to get that kind of functionality anytime soon in AGK. use T2 and 3rd party ad libs
Grook
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2015 16:43
Unfortunately, I suspect bjadams is correct.
"It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Take for example the mistreatment (through the review system) of the excellent game named "Monument Valley" for iOS (you can read the story here: http://toucharcade.com/2014/11/12/one-star-reviews-flood-monument-valley-following-paid-expansion-release/). There were people who gave 1 star to this amazing game, simply because the developers decided to make the expansion of THEIR GAME as paid downloadable content!!! "

That is pretty depressing. And at the same time so many people continue dishing out insane amounts of real money for basic "upgrades" in Farmville-like exploitative "games" (SouthPark did a great episode on these types of games last season).

It's a sign of the times, but I don't like it. I released an iOS app many years ago for $0.99. It became my most popular app but since I released it with no in-app purchases initially I feel obligated to continue offering all future upgrades to it for free to all original users, thus having no income flow from anyone who owns it (I also did a free giveaway back then whereby over 100,000 users got the full version). Otherwise, I fear the same retaliation and negative remarks as other developers get for adding IAP expansions.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@xCept so basically one has to think well and plan a lot before actually release an app
the days of putting out an app as quick as possible and then update functionality and features later are over... otherwise people will start giving you 1 stars and its game over

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 07:35:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 07:35:06