Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Pseudo/Fake 3D Space Flight

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2015 21:12
Hey guys,

I'm just brainstorming about something I wish to experiment with and that is pseudo 3D free flight for a possible retro space sim (mixed with 2D FPS dungeon crawler sections). I can do this quite easy with 3D but I'm intrigued by this pseudo 3D stuff.

Here are some YouTube links to 'let's plays' so you can see what I mean in action.
Star Trek - 25th Anniversary (I know this is an "adventure" game, but it also has this space flight gameplay)
Wing Commander (Not sure if this is actual 3D... looks fake 3D to me!)

Anyway, I have ideas about these mechanics (sprites change to right size, angle position according to position in space according to the camera view, etc.) but I have no idea on how to approach this code wise....

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions, tips, critics, etc. are welcome!
Regards Sph!nx
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2015 19:42
Looking at that wing commander video it looks like pre rendered sprites. I dont think the 3d is real. Donkykong country for snes used prerendered sprites and did a much better job faking the 3d look.

Pseudo 3d im not even sure what that is. Is it simular to doom or wolfenstein?

Id be interested in making the game engine used on road rash 2 for sega. That fake 3d looked so good it even had hills in it.

Let me know if you find any info on it... As i too would be interested in learning it.

www.sheldonscreations.com
x3meblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2015 20:00
Take a look at this site:

http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/
AGK2 Tier 1 / GameGuru / DB PRO / ProMotion 6.5
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2015 22:18
Pseudo 3D was used when GPUs were not powerful enough to handle 3D. AppGameKit comes with a fairly comprehensive 3D command set so you could use actual 3D commands to effectively simulate a pseudo 3D effect (using 3D planes oriented towards the camera for example). Turn off the sunlight and set the ambient nice and high, drop the resolution right down and you could create some real good retro style pseudo pseudo 3D! Hehe.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2015 22:46 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2015 23:05
Thanks for the replies guys!

@ SoftMotion3D
Hey mate! I'll share whatever I learn on pseudo/fake 3D effects. Ever did something like a 2D fps dungeon crawler thing like "Lands of Lore" or "Eye of the Beholder"? I'm brainstorming on that technique too. This is an interesting thread on the matter on TIGSource Forum: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=21446.0

@ x3meblue
Thanks, sir. I have found that link too in my googling on the matter. It's uses parallax effects of sorts. However, I believe with this way you can only follow the road. The methods in the examples I posted give full control on any angle.

@ CJB
Hello, sir. Yeah, I've got some good ideas for that. I can use "Billboard" Sprites (1 faced object always pointing to camera with animated textures in different angles). That's easy to do. However, I have some ideas for a game project and using actual 3D does not fit into it.
Regards Sph!nx
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2015 19:12
@Sph!nx, I work with spacecraft so if you need help with orbit mechanics let me know and I can give you a hand.
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2015 12:36 Edited at: 6th Nov 2015 12:38
@ Ched80:
Thanks for the offer, Ched! For now it's just a bit of brainstorming and concept/design stuff but when I do need help with it (which I probably will!), I will contact you!
Regards Sph!nx

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 07:28:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 07:28:57