Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / developers, stop relying on steam!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2015 19:12
Nothing more frustrating than buying a brand new game (in this case call of duty) and not even being able to install it because for whatever reason I can't connect to steam to register the stupid game. Whatever happened to just giving me a cd-key? And for what little steam actually does, I can't even fathom why it eats up so much memory.

\"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.\" - Linus Torvalds
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Nov 2015 20:23
I have had Steam since 2011 and have never had a single issue with it. As silly as this sounds, did you try restarting your computer, or logging out/back in?

I imagine a game might have trouble installing if it's in high demand at the moment of purchase, at least in terms of the servers being overloaded with download requests.

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2015 21:13
My Steam is only using ~100KB of memory(counting all the web helpers), is yours using more?

As for the CD-key thing, Steam provides a constant platform that developers can base their DRM/authentication/achievement/etc schemes off of without having to roll their own which saves them both time and money. As long as Steam provides those core services to developers and the majority of the market sticks with Steam, then developers will keep using Steam in this way.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 17:37
Finally got the 60gb game installed, oh no wait, still can't play. There's already a 47GB patch! 47! Really? At least the download speed from steam is close to 2MB/s, so I can't complain about that. But now I understand why some might say consoles are better; when you buy a new game all you have to do is put it in and start playing.

Quote: "My Steam is only using ~100KB of memory(counting all the web helpers), is yours using more?"

It's always used way more than that. Like I said, I see it using 100mb at times. Although, since the steam client updated last night, I'm only seeing it use around 100k right now.

Off topic, Yodaman when did you become president???

\"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.\" - Linus Torvalds
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 19:05
Quote: " I understand why some might say consoles are better; when you buy a new game all you have to do is put it in and start playing."

That's not exactly true, if you're connected to the internet and the game detects an update? It will force you to wait while it updates. This happened to me when I bought the GTA V + PS3 bundle a couple of years ago. I popped the game in, thought I could play it straight away, lol NOPE I had to wait almost TWO entire hours for it to install, and then update. I was so mad.

And I became President sometime in June, winning by literally one vote

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2015 09:28
Quote: "But now I understand why some might say consoles are better; when you buy a new game all you have to do is put it in and start playing."

That hasn't been the case since the penultimate generation of consoles. You'd buy a PS3 game, then sit waiting on it installing, updating, sitting doing nothing except watch a percentage sign for ages before you can play the game you just bought.

It gets annoying though, a lot of developers seem to be playing the quick and consistent update game, and that just annoys me even more. Like, release a patch once a week, not every fricken day. If you have to patch your game every day, then it shouldn't have been released yet. It's doubly annoying if you run a server, having to update and reboot that on top of PC's that you actually play the game on.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Consoles have really lost their edge over PC now. Halo 5, no splitscreen co-op? Lol. 9GB launch day patch? Lol.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2015 16:44
I think the increase in patches has been an issue for quite some time now. I don't think these big companies truly test their games like they should before launching, and rely on the public as their beta testers. But on the other hand, games are more complex now with ever different hardware out there.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2015 23:07
If there is a 47gb patch after a 60gb download they have seriously messed something up
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Not the Forum President
User Banned
Posted: 11th Nov 2015 01:01
60gb from disc, I bought it at the store. But after some googling, the patch may have only been a few gigs. The 47 I was seeing I think might have been steam downloading the whole game. Why, I do not know.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:26:38
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:26:38