Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / advice for a noob in 3d formats

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 05:51
Hi there

I´ve always worked in 2d because the Z-factor alone scares the shit out of an old guy. But no play, no game. So I want to dive into the z-factor. But in my humble beginnings, I need a little guidance. There are so many formats to choose from. Kudos to agk for supporting them. But what should I go for?

I work (PLAY!!) in blender. I made a simple globe with an earth texture. I´ve saved it as both a blend file, and a blend file with the texture packed in. I´ve also exported it to the .obj format which also produces an .mtl file. I tried to load the .blend file with load LoadObject, with no luck. I dont see an object. The .obj. file worked.

Now, my questions is....

1. what format (recommended) should I use when exporting and why isn't the .blend file showing?
2. When exporting single objects, like my test-globe - should I delete every camera and light in the scene?
3. Is it important to centre the object in the world before exporting?
4. What is the mtl file produced when exporting as .obj...

Tim
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 08:22
Hello Tim
I am excited every time I hear someone is moving into 3D.

I'm not the most expert but I do have some expriance.

first of all
download AppGameKit 2.015b , so 3d physics will work and all new 3d commands.

second ,
when exporting from blender
.blend is a blender only file
you need to export to .dae
this is the new mainstream blender export for games and movies.. I know some uses the old formats which they are use to but the .dae is pretty simple , good and you can edit it outside blender inside the .dae file itself (xml).
third do not be afraid to play with all the 3d commands AppGameKit posses you might find it easier to understand then you think.

and the Cherry, write done Mixamo Fuse on google.. and get it while it is still free. you will be able to create wonderful 3d characters that you create and modify (you can modify everything) then export it to dae and play with it inside AGK.
do not forget inside FUSE preferences to click on "Pack Textures" as this will pack you character textures into 4 images that you then load with SetObjectImage(obj,IMG,shader) so you get a normal , specular and gloss I think..

hope this helps.

Fluorescent
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 09:39
haliop_New wrote: ".blend is a blender only file
you need to export to .dae"

According to the documentation the supported formats are .X .3ds .md3 .smd .md5 .lwo. .ac .b3d .dae .3d .lws .ms3d .blend .m3 .obj and .ago. Yes collada is a standard format, but a .blend file should work.
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 09:58 Edited at: 7th Nov 2015 09:58
ohh wow I have rad this before and did not noticed I guess I rad from .x to .dae which are all that needed.. (for me, got so excited .. lol )
sorry for that.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 21:22
I've been using .obj exported from blender for all my agk projects without any problems - V1 and V2 although I've yet to try the new 3D commands in v2.15b (I'm still using 2.14b).

Depending on what you're doing in Blender, you can just export the entire model. I've attached an image of the options I choose when exporting. You can also tick the "selection" box if you only want to export a part of the of the model.

I've not had a chance to try other formats yet so obviously this doesn't include animated models but it's a start.
Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 21:41
Thank you, 29 Games. That is really helpful. Just what I wanted.

I´ll just go for the .obj format.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 21:58 Edited at: 7th Nov 2015 21:58
I should have added, you don't need to delete the light or the camera from the blender model. You'll need these if you plan on baking textures.

Also, at the moment I'm just applying the textures in AppGameKit using the SetObjectImage command.
Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2015 10:30 Edited at: 8th Nov 2015 14:37
@haliop

Quote: "and the Cherry, write done Mixamo Fuse on google.. and get it while it is still free. you will be able to create wonderful 3d characters that you create and modify (you can modify everything) then export it to dae and play with it inside AGK."

This is really cool! One problem though...

Exporting to .dae from Mixamo saves the anims as separate files, with only the bones. As AGK2 cannot load anims into 3D object (yet?) this is useless for animating our Fuse characters.

Unless you know of a method to get the Fuse/Mixamo animated objects into another format that includes the anims in the object?

I would SO like this to work, even when they go to a paid version, the Fuse/Mixamo combo is really easy to use.

EDIT: Just a warning. Installing FUSE with my Adobe ID invalidated my licensing on Photoshop. I had to use the license recovery tool to get Photoshop CS4 working again!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 07:28:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 07:28:09