Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Movember

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2015 12:18
Hi all,
There is a recent Australian tradition that is catching on and quite worthy of continuing. I am sharing it with you so that you, where-ever you are can share in it.

In Australia, we have something called Movember(if it exists elsewhere then good, its origin matters not).

It is a newly formed tradition. The origin resides within supporting men with depression and mental Illness.
We as men often feel the need to be strong and indestructible and we sometimes live up to this image despite very real internal trouble.

Movember is a time where we all grow a moustache to externally show our support for our struggling brothers.
wearing a moustache in Movember openly states, "You are not alone, and you have friends and support, most of all, we are all here for you"
In this month we all grow a moustache, often a ridiculous one. men feel weak when they speak out. if we all grow a moustache, they know we are aware, and open and available to talk.
I encourage you all to practice this tradition where-ever you are.

Let movember cover the globe, and at the end of it, let us share photos of our moustaches.

Peace to our silently suffering brothers.
Kezzla
To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2015 13:04
It's done in the UK as well, but here it is to raise awareness of prostate cancer.
The cause doesn't matter as long it is a worthwhile one. Good luck with your 'tache!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2015 19:30
We do it in the U.S. to raise awareness for Prostate Cancer. I'm sporting mine right now!
-Keith
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2015 22:11
What if you haven't shaved for 2 years, does that still let you be part of Movember?
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2015 03:42
No, you need to increase your beard's growth rate in order for it to count. Various OTC medications can help increase that rate quite nicely.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2015 16:40
We just have no shave november. Honestly, I'm not even sure what the reasoning is behind it. Being in the military, I have to shave regardless so I never paid much attention to it.

\"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.\" - Linus Torvalds
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2015 19:26
Originally, "no-shave November" came to be because that's one of the months where students are most tormented (with finals just around the corner). It also has a nice ring to it because "November" repeats the "no" in "no-shave".

Don't know why it's now called Movember.
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2015 19:32
Quote: "Being in the military, I have to shave regardless"

Seems like the military would prefer the opposite, what with beards being a symbol of manliness.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2015 14:54
Quote: "Seems like the military would prefer the opposite, what with beards being a symbol of manliness. "

Pretty hard to get a proper seal on your gas-mask with facial hair.
-Keith
Not the Forum President
User Banned
Posted: 11th Nov 2015 00:58
I see Keith was military.
But what about them special forces guys? Or has living in close quarters with only MREs made them immune to gasses. Lol
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2015 01:08
Quote: " Seems like the military would prefer the opposite, what with beards being a symbol of manliness. "

In addition to what KeithC said, the military also values solidarity and uniformity. Having a few persons not shave and the rest not doesn't really adhere to that standard so they just make everyone shave.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2015 16:13
Growing facial hair for SF helps them to blend in a bit more with theaters they operate in.
-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 10:42:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 10:42:23