Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Programming Talk / New to game programming Need Help!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi! Everyone I'm still learnning c++ and I want to know how to code a 2d game and make it I'd tried to find many tutorial but none is help me making process more like I don't know where to start there are too much subject. Can anyone advise me what to do? I have a bit knowledge on c++ and python. Thanks
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi i suggest you should first learn the language properly (inheritance , polymorphism , templates) . Learn the c++ coding styles and standards.(How all pro c++ coders are coding out there.Don't try to reinvent the wheel just use how it is done).
Learn to use standard containers (It is very important ! most of the time you code a game you will use them !) Most of the game engines have their own container types but as many thing in c++ these are designed almost identical.So if you learn the c standard library , you basically learn all the game engine containers too)
After this its very important to learn linear algebra (matrix , vector , quaternion math , common operations like dot product , normalization , cross product etc), Without this its nearly impossible to write a game in c++ you have to know how things work because you can't keep asking for help all the time like "how to rotate object in local coords" or "how to project a point onto a plane".you have to learn the basics so you can do it yourself (it's not easy but it can be done)
After this you can learn general algorithms used by games (it is not necessary to write your own but at least you should learn how things work : Octrees , quadtrees , GJK , Astar , basic intersection test in 2d and 3d line-OBB line-line , sphere-line , etc)

Learn Component based programming (once again if you learn it in c++ you pretty much learned it in all languages.) Most of modern engines are using this approach instead of old style classic polymorphism. Both are as much powerful but in game programming Component based design is more popular and easier.(UDK4 , Unity , are component based engines)

I know all this sounds scary but writing games in c++ is only worth it if you are serious about it , and you like to learn new stuff.
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=191567&b=5]Spark Particle engine[/href]
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199163&b=5]Transform gizmo plugin[/href]
uzzal2045
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi
I am Uzzal hossain.I know few about html.If i want to make video game which language.<a href=http://olympuschiro.com/chiro-billing-services>Insurance</a> may help you to prevent your losses and make life comfortable.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2016 14:41
If I was you, I'd just get AppGameKit - personally I'd rather spend 2 months learning AppGameKit than 2 years learning C++ to the point you'd need to. AppGameKit has tier 2 which is a C++ framework, all the game handling stuff like sprites, collision, music, sound, physics, 3D... all that stuff is already done, you'd concentrate on game logic instead and learn more C++ as you go.

Really I'm not sure how much life C++ has left in it, within a few years it could be rare to see a pure C++ game. Might be sensible to concentrate on learning game logic and design, and stay flexible with the language.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:22:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:22:58