Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Rogue Machine : 3rd person sci-fi action rogue like

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2015 23:12 Edited at: 27th Sep 2016 21:28
Rogue Machine

This is created in AppGameKit V2.14b Tier 1 using some animation code and an animation editor I started developing in V1, both have been refined and beefed up for this project. I really only moved over to the V2 so I could use the bloom shader.

If you've watched the video you only know a little less about this game than I do but some key features are:
- randomly generated maps
- keyboard, gamepad and touch screen controls.
- extensive use of toon shaders
- sparse colour palette
- dual wielded laser pistols / energy swords combo weapon

Apart from that I have no real idea where I'm going with this but there's still a lot of work to do.

Wish me luck.
Hover Car Race Challenge! - available now on Google Play
Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2015 17:05
Quote: "Apart from that I have no real idea where I'm going with this but there's still a lot of work to do.
"

Great concept though, looks very good. Look forward to seeing where you go with this
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2015 16:04
The combat looks a little slow paced and the environment a little empty right now. But I like the gameplay idea. Would be cool with some dodge rolls to make the combat more interesting. Add some 2 handed weapons to make it less repetitive. Rouge likes are all about replay so you need to keep things interesting. Also add some jumping and verticality. Personally I would skip touch support for a game like this and focus on keyboard+mouse and controller. Touch support will only hold you back. This is also not a popular genre for touch devices but can do great on computers and Android consoles.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2016 07:46
Trying to unlock...
The code is dark and full of errors
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2016 21:27
@ VanB, thanks for unlocking the thread and changing the title.

I've been steadily working on my game and I've finally given this game a proper name: Rogue Machine

Things that have been added:
- now have three npc types
- enemies can now have both ranged and melee weapons as well as shields
- enemy AI to use melee weapons and shields
- npcs will now actively hunt the player to get into line of sight or attack the player in melee combat
- added beam weapons
- added more detail to maps
- added level objectives, such as: kill all enemies, kill a specific enemy, find a key or just simply find the exit point
- enemies can be set to respawn
- collectable coins but I think this might just be a place holder for some other type of collectable.

Am currently working on:
- different map styles
- npc types
- weapons (would definitely like either rockets or grenades)
- collectables / pickups / special items

Find me on indieDB
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2016 17:07
The new video looks really nice.

I think the game might feel better if you increase the movement speed of the player and enemies. You should give that a try and see. You could even give the player a dash move.

Also are you planning to add in jumps? It would vary up the game play and allows for more interesting level designs.
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Really like the bloom in the light , did you create a shader for this, or is it the objects that are made this way
best regards Preben Eriksen,
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2016 23:00
Thanks for the comments.

Quote: "I think the game might feel better if you increase the movement speed of the player and enemies"

Someone else has told me it could do with being a bit faster. I've not had a chance to play with this but I aught to.

I want the player to be able to upgrade their character so I'm currently using what I think is going to be a level or two above a starting character. I expect things like rate of fire and speed of attack to get faster as the player progresses.

Quote: "Also are you planning to add in jumps? It would vary up the game play and allows for more interesting level designs."

I'm pretty certain I won't be adding in jumping or dash moves. However, I'll agree with your earlier comment about the game needing some "verticality", it is rather flat.

Taking a slight more holistic view, I need to add in more things for the player to do, make the levels a more interesting to navigate, make it all a little more interactive. In all honesty, if I could come up with things that obfuscate the lack of verticality then I would do that.

I've got some ideas that I'm going to try out.

Quote: "Really like the bloom in the light , did you create a shader for this"

It's done with the bloom shader from the examples.

However, I've done something clever with the toon shader so the bloom affect for the maps only kicks in when the red, green or blue values of the pixel are above 252. If you look at 1:07 into the video you can see one of the "light" columns goes from grey to glowing white as the camera gets closer. It's not a smooth transition, it's not supposed to be, but it's less abrupt and I think looks pretty cool.

The colour scheme and general look of the game was inspired from the comic book Shakara that appeared in 2000AD and I'm really pleased with it.
Find me on indieDB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:02:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:02:40