Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Could this be made with AGK 2 tier 1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2015 21:14
Hello All,

Just started using AppGameKit 2, looking for all the tuts and purchased the AGKTutorialGuide...
I was wondering could the game I have posted below be made using AppGameKit 2..or would
I need something else to get it done...?

http://www.freeze2.com

And if this could be done with AppGameKit 2, are there any sample code examples you would
recommend to get started...

Thanks

Lar
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2015 23:55
i would say, its possible with agk if you have the talent.
it needs nice images as sprites with physics.
the success belongs also a good marketing and fun to play.
seems he started with a free app with in app purchase
and now he earn good money with freeze2 in direct sale.

the agk online help have some more examples which belongs the commands.

http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/examples.html
http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/

AGK (Steam) V2.0.16 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 03:40
Absolutely! It all depends on how committed you are, and how much you're willing to work. Although AppGameKit has a fair bit of robust features, it is also strangely lacking in many key areas, meaning you may have to work around them to get the desired result. But this is also a good thing because it teaches you how to implement your own functionality!

Sharp1959
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 06:16
Thanks @Markus & @Yodaman Jer,

I have looked at the Examples on / off the net...but didn't find anything that was relevant...but SOME Darn good Ideas on some of them.

Some the ideas a person would have to work around that I see, would be the Physics...How to get a complete enclosed -->> for this example a square (outline) of a box with the hollow inside, and have a ball rolling around in it
box colliders ... not a problem ...but hollow box colliders...now...we may have a problem..one of the way I was experimenting was to draw a box or shape like a box or circle BUT don't connect it together, leave a small gap and
then apply a collider...it seems to work..some what...still experimenting...got to think outside the box....no pun intended..

nuff rambling...thanks again guys...if you get any ideas... put wings on them and send them my way...

Lar
*AGK (Non-Steam) V2.0.16 * Windows 7 HP 64 Bit - Intel CPU 2.00 GHz - 6 GB Ram * iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) - Intel 2.5 GHz i5 Quad Core - 16 GB Ram - OS X - 10.9.5 (Mavericks) *
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The heart of that app, based on what I see in the video, would mostly depend on Box2D. However, to create such fluid bodies may prove more difficult or slow in AppGameKit as it does not have a complete Box2D command set (despite requests to make it complete since 2011). If you search the AppGameKit forums for 'water' or 'liquid' you will find some examples people have done in AppGameKit of fluids, like here.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 09:01
I'd say it's do-able in AGK2. The liquid looks like a bunch of dynamic Box2D circles (create the image bigger than the physics shape so they overlap and bingo! You have liquid). With AGK2 we can zoom and scroll around using SetViewZoom and SetViewOffset, but there isn't a built-in SetViewAngle, so you'll need to code your own way of rotating the level image(s) youself, which shouldn't be too difficult. I'm sure I have seen some threads on it here somewhere. Looks like a fun game... marketing is a BIG part of making a successful game. They probably put more effort into spreading the word than development. Posting links to it on forums is a good way to do that... wait - are you part of their marketing team!?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Sharp1959
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 10:33
Hi Guys,

The game was done with...(Corona SDK) I contacted the developer and got some pointers...no help really.. nice guy tho..

I think (he didn't say this) the idea came from this game... http://www.coolmath-games.com/0-rolling-hero

Freeze!, Freeze 2 and this little 'Rolling Hero' game are all pretty cool games...

I've mocked it up in Corona and Unity simple graphic placeholders to get the mechanics of the game, but the Box 2 acts really funny...when you have say a ball inside a hollowed out rectangle....
just wondering if he coded his own physics a little bit...

Anyway... back to more prototyping..and playing..and coding..

Lar
*AGK (Non-Steam) V2.0.16 * Windows 7 HP 64 Bit - Intel CPU 2.00 GHz - 6 GB Ram * iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) - Intel 2.5 GHz i5 Quad Core - 16 GB Ram - OS X - 10.9.5 (Mavericks) *
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 11:13
Quote: "but hollow box colliders...now...we may have a problem"

This would be a challenge for any game engine. You can only make convex shapes in any physics system, so the only solution is to use multiple shapes and connect them with static joints. This will become your tool to overcome many of the challenges in this type of game. There are a few AppGameKit homebrew tools on this forum to help with this. I made one myself, but Baxslash has the most comprehensive I think.

Quote: " but there isn't a built-in SetViewAngle, so you'll need to code your own way of rotating the level image(s) youself"

I think the simplest way to achieve this is to DrawToImage() instead of directly to the screen. You then put that image on a 3D quad, and this is what the user sees on their screen. The quad can be manipulated in many ways, and so can the 3D camera.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Sharp1959
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 15:31
Here is a sample of a quick demo in Unity, notice how the ball rotates backward as it goes around the inside of the object (these are just two sprites, the square on is on a transparent background)
they both have colliders, and physics...I have tried to play with the settings and no luck..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63298804/BallRotate.mp4

The demo in Corona SDK has the same results...backward spinning ball when in the corners...other physics properties act as they should...

Still researching..digging up some old physics books off the shelf... ha

Lar
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2015 13:35
A hollow rectangle sounds to me like 4 rectangles put together

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:24:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:24:26