Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Merry Christmas!

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 19:11
For those who celebrate; I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas. Time to fatten up, before those New Year's Resolutions kick into effect!
-Keith
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 19:18
Merry Christmas!!!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 19:20 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2015 19:21
Why, Christmas isn't for two days! Merry Christmas, though. I've already fattened up, inadvertantly and suddenly gaining an unsettling 15 pounds since Thanksgiving. That giant pecan pie...
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 19:26
I LOVE pecan pie....keep it away...
-Keith
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 20:14
Quote: "Why, Christmas isn't for two days! "

Depends where you live.

Let's play a game of What Country am I from?
And christmas? CHRISTMAS?! I find that offensive, you're only allowed to say holidays so as not to tread on my sensitive feelings.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 23:40
And I was about to congratulate this thread for wishing everyone a happy Christmas.

Surely Happy Holidays is offensive to all of those people who have to work
And of course it can only be Happy Holidays if we do the same for Hannukah, Diwali, Eid, and all the others so as to be politically correct across all cultures and religions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 02:13 Edited at: 25th Dec 2015 02:13
And of course people can use the greeting that suits them best and accept everybody else's. After all, how we celebrate this festive season and our reasons vary depending on background, beliefs and values. I just find it odd and kinda sad that so much of a big deal is made over "it's Christmas" or "It's the holidays", especially as people are wishing you good fortune and joy, in essence. I say "Merry Christmas" even though I am not Christian and partake in no Christian version of the holiday, but it's the tradition I crew up with, thus it is the time I use. But if you'd rather say to me, "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Hannukah" then my all means.

Well, it is now technically Christmas, so I do hope that people, whatever they celebrate and how they celebrate it. I will say a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope Santa Clause brings you all a sparkle of sunshine in your lives.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 03:19 Edited at: 25th Dec 2015 03:19
Quote: "And of course people can use the greeting that suits them best and accept everybody else's."
I like this. I too am quite tired and sad of the massive deal people make of mere words. Ultimately, I find, people find whatever they can to be offended about, then they get really loud about that thing. I'll admit, there are times when I derive great pleasure from being politically incorrect. I digress.

Merry Christmas to all!

I've never understood why other countries like to celebrate on the 24th just because they are in a different time zone than the United States...

"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 09:42
Quote: "I've never understood why other countries like to celebrate on the 24th just because they are in a different time zone than the United States..."

I don't think it's because of a different timezone. My guess would be that we celebrate on the 24th because there might have been some religious traditions on the 25th. For a lot of christians here in sweden, it's tradition to go to church at midnight between the 24th and 25th so it might have made more sense to celebrate before that instead of the day after when you will probably be tired.
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 11:36
I can say to all my friends here on the TGC Forums,.. Have a wonderful and joyous time with your families and friends, and may the post-Winter Solstice festivities continue into the new year.

Or just say Merry Christmas! I know that my friends will receive the same sentiment and not take offense since no offense was meant.

Soon it will be politically incorrect to say 'Hi'.. since in some languages it means 'Yes' and saying 'Yes' out of context can be very dangerous.

Cheers!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 14:56
2015.....the Year People were offended by everything!

Again...Merry Christmas!
-Keith
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 16:43
Merry paganmas!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 16:45
Quote: "I don't think it's because of a different timezone. My guess would be that we celebrate on the 24th because there might have been some religious traditions on the 25th. For a lot of christians here in sweden, it's tradition to go to church at midnight between the 24th and 25th so it might have made more sense to celebrate before that instead of the day after when you will probably be tired."
Ahh! I was actually being sarcastic in my previous comment; if other places actually do celebrate on the 24th, I didn't know that.

Epic! My grandparents gifted me a quadcopter for Christmas.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 18:00
People in France (and no doubt many other countries) open their presents and have their meal Christmas eve (the 24th) usually towards midnight and continuing all through the night.

... Yet we still had our paper delivered at 6:15am.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 20:01
Merry Christmas to you wonderful guys and gals!

Despite the fact that there is no snow on the ground for us this year, this Christmas has ended up being one of the best my family has had in a long time. We were each very generous in our gifts to each other. My girlfriend got me a set of Minecraft Legos, a couple of great t-shirts, a few games and even a gift card. I can't wait to give her the rest of her presents tonight, which may or may not be an engagement ring.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 20:56
Quote: "Epic! My grandparents gifted me a quadcopter for Christmas."

Ohhh, what kind of quad?
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 21:10
It appears to be a Udi R/C U818A. Never heard of the brand before, and the quality doesn't seem stellar, but it does fly! It has an HD (haven't seen the actual quality yet) camera built in which can be used to take pictures and record video. I've only gotten it like 6 inches off the ground inside; I tried flying it outside, but tons of snow got up in the electronics so I decided to shelf the effort until later.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 23:09
I got a hexacopter and iv already lost it found it and broke and fixed it. Fun day

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2015 00:16
Quote: "I can say to all my friends here on the TGC Forums,.. Have a wonderful and joyous time with your families and friends, and may the post-Winter Solstice festivities continue into the new year.

Or just say Merry Christmas! I know that my friends will receive the same sentiment and not take offense since no offense was meant."

+1 Merry Christmas guys!

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2015 11:09
For anyone who took offense at my post about being offended, I once again apologise for my dry, sarcastic and cynical sense of humour. I'm British, what more can I say?
If you don't like or understand British humour, stop reading this post now.

Still here? OK, don't complain about my ramblings then.
I find it extremely amusing that the campaign for political correctness and equality in this world could so easily be replaced by something that is far less common. And that is common sense.
When governments decide they must think for the people, the people think they must sue for their own stupidity. Then we're all doomed. Except the lawyers.

Happy Christmas to everyone that shares my sentiments of stretching out a hand of kindness to others now and all year round.
Always be yourself.
Unless you're Batman.
Then always be Batman.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2015 15:22
BatVink, whose comments are you referring to? Or were they deleted? I'm lost. Anyway, feel free to ignore anyone that claims to be offended by your well-wishing, since it's usually the same kind of person that takes offence on the behalf of others (usually when someone tells a 'racist' joke, etc). I have a feeling that in most of these cases the people who might genuinely have a case to be offended aren't the ones being offended.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2015 18:43

Phaelax's sig sums it all up
"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

The world is falling apart and there is nobody to blame but ourselves.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas / Holiday!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:12:32
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:12:32