Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Keeping fps smooth and high?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am creating a game with fpsc 1.19, a major complaint people have for many indie games is bad fps. FPSC does have issues for me in that area I just wanted to know your guys methods for keeping the fps fluid. I have been trying to concentrate on making building with many levels going up or down as I have heard that helps you fit much more on the maps.

However there are times when the fps just drops for no reason, not even in rooms with any entities in them [yet]. It seems like the further you go up the laggier it gets though that contradicts what I had read about this engine and that it processes basically level by level. But even if a room say on the 10th floor is only 3x3 and the only room I have on that floor the fps will be like 14-15 and not the usual 20-25. I have a 3.0ghz processor with 1tb nvidia GTX lol I'm already not to pleased to see it not get above 25 but 20-25 is still very smooth especially for a engine with no programming knowledge needed so props to tgc.

Is there a good way to keep the fps smooth in your guys experience or opinion?
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 10:56
I see!

Aside from the normal stuff of: Not using textures with too high resolution, low poly models and not too many models you must know that FPSC can only handle very small maps and run fluidly. Even if you get a high framerate in a larger map, it is very likely that the game will not load this map in the built map and crash.

If you have a 10 storie building in your game, it is already way too big. An FPSC map can have 4 to 5 2x2 or 3x3 rooms and one larger hallway...thats it. Unless you use models VERY sparingly and no shader effects your final built will not run all too well on most machines if you go above that amount of maps.

Bugsy can make big maps because he is very good at optimisation. But even his latest game does not run once built.

Quote: "It seems like the further you go up the laggier it gets though that contradicts what I had read about this engine and that it processes basically level by level."

Correct me if I am wrong, but I strongly believe that this is supposed to mean "map by map" and not "storie by storie". You can not make a buildin with multiple stories (more than 2) and expect it to run well in FPSC.
What you need to do is make every storie of your building a new map.

-Wolf

\"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!\" - Rick Bamber
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2015 14:40
gomiamiheay6t
Every thing "Wolf" said, but I have gotten larger maps to run smoothly after alot of tweeking
to models and scripts. Take a look sometime at model pack #49 "Office pack". It has a
7 story (inside) office test map that seems to run very smooth ( at least for me)
And MP#66 (night city pack) runs very smooth for me.
One thing though, I never could get V1.19 to run all that good on my system.
V1.20 with Black Ice mod from Nomad and S4real seem to (for me at least)
runs much faster and smoother.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:40:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:40:20